How long to harden off

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ballydoolagh
KG Regular

Do I still need to harden of plants I've grown in the greenhouse at this time of year? I'm looking to plant out courgettes and sweetcorn. If so, how long for?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I would think it depends on the difference in temperatures in your greenhouse and outside, I see you put where you live but I have no idea where Fermanagh is. If the difference in temperature is very small you can probably safely put them out now. If the difference is greater, then harden them off for a day or two more
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Monika
KG Regular

I would certainly try to take a little more time over hardening off because greenhouse temperatures this time of the year will be considerably higher during the night because of the stored heat from daytime sun/brightness. I would suggest keeping things out during the day for 4 or 5 days but taking them in at night, then keeping them out over night PROVIDING it's reasonably mild. Only then plant or keep them outside for good. I would certainly take at last a week over the hardening off!
Johnboy
KG Regular

I really do not think that there is a need to harden off plants this late into the year.I would plant out direct and expect there not to be any check in growth.
My plants are raised in a tunnel that is open at both ends so my plants are grown by the hard method. For seeding early on in the year I have tunnels within the tunnel and heat available if necessary but it is seldom used.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Like Johnboy my greenhouse is open to some airflow day and night, after danger of frost is past again tough treatment but plants are quite hardy if we don't over cosset them. I planted out several lots of seedlings this past week without hardening off and they are all fine.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic