Cropping Red Duke of York potatoes?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

MikA
KG Regular

My first bag of Red Duke of York Potatoes are producing flower heads but the flowers are all very tiny and look like they have gone over and withered.
Is this normal for this variety and should I wait until there are real flowers showing before I think of cropping them?
They were put into the bag on 11th March, 9 weeks ago.
alan refail
KG Regular

After 9 weeks they should be ready. Have a root around and see what's under them.
MikA
KG Regular

Thanks Alan,

I have lifted the bag and have got 1.3Kg / 3Lb.

My wife boiled a few straight away and served with butter and a garnish of freshly chopped parsley from a pot on the windowsill, with a side sandwich of our second bite-size Cucumber Cucino from the greenhouse.

Delicious

All the tubers were at the same level as the seeds and none had grown up the underground stems where I had earthed up. Is this a variety trait?

The compost was also very dry particularly at the bottom. I will endeavour to get more water into the second bag for 3 to 4 weeks time.

MikA
KG Regular

MikA wrote:....They were put into the bag on 11th March, 9 weeks ago.

Hi, this seems early to me, did you do anything special in terms of compost, manure, heat etc? Curious as I planted my Red Duke of York's at the end of Feb, and was waiting till about the beginning of June before I start chomping on them.
I think reading this post I'm now getting even more impatient to start in on them!

Thanks
MikA
KG Regular

Hi 1066 -

We had the garden rebuilt last year and a small unheated greenhouse installed in January. So being impatient I put the chitted potatoes in their bag in the greenhouse in a standard reduced peat compost topping up as required. Once through I was moving them out and in again at night. I guess the warm weather was good to them.
I don't know if the yield is good but following Alan's advice {above} I pushed my hand in and pulled out a nice spud and I couldn't wait anymore. If you are as impatient as me I suggest you try it.

Sarah Raven, in a report on her potato trials, used bags and put a hole in the side to reach in at the bottom to remove some but leave them growing. Must try this next year.

I have a second bag which is about 2-3 weeks behind so I'll leave this to see if it gives more when cropped later.

Good hunting

MikA
KG Regular

Thanks MikA, that explains things nicely :)
I've seen bags for growing spuds where there is a flap in the side so you can reach in and grab a few spuds and let the plant continue growing, a friend of mine has done this very successfully. Mine on the otherhand are looking rather miserable and the snails seem to have found them which is a worry. It was a bit of a trial anyway

I'll try and wait a couple of more weeks - aparently patience is a virtue :roll: :D
Tigger
KG Regular

We put several types (8) into tubs in our tunnels in February, which have born prolific earlies. First harvest this week. Next lot are outside main crops, earthing up nicely.
alan refail
KG Regular

Dug my first Red Duke of York yesterday. A much awaited taste experience every year. Despite a dry start they were ready in exactly seven weeks from planting.
KG Regular

I couldn't resist any longer, and we ate our first ones last week :D
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I planted mine quite early in March and protected them with clear plastic. ERROR, ERROR!!! The frost in April burned the leaves through the plastic - I should have used fleece, but I didn't have any at the time.

I dug my first lot yesterday - 2 weeks ago they were too small. We both love the rich taste of them.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
freddy
KG Regular

Hi.

I tried RDoY last year, and I have to say, I didn't like them at all. Mind you, as I recall, it was a very dry spring so maybe that had something to do with it. They were very kinda dry tasting, and seemed to break up once cooked. This year I've gone back to my favourites, Arran Pilot. Had a root about today, and they are looking good ! Gonna dig some up this weekend, if I can wait that long :D I shall have some of those along with some young carrots, yummy.

ATB...Freddy.
The future aint all it used to be
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Freddy,
If you steam potatoes rather than boil them you will find that they may start to flake but do not break up.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

Even though they are earlies we bake them (with olive oil and salt) and they are delicious.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
I always cook about 4-5 Maris Bard extra to my immediate need and have them sauted the following lunch time. So not a million miles away from what you do although the outcome may be an entirely different animal.
JB.
freddy
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Freddy,
If you steam potatoes rather than boil them you will find that they may start to flake but do not break up.
JB.

Hiya Johnboy. That's exactly what I do with all my veg, steam it. :)
The future aint all it used to be
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic