Shallots

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Bought my shallots today and was surprised by the advice on the label:

"Plant your bulbs after the danger of frost".

What do you think?

They were Sante and Golden Gourmet both 75p for 25 nice bulbs, less 15% in the Winter sale which I thought wasn't a bad deal.
Molly
KG Regular

I bought mine yesterday and the planting instructions say "plant in spring". I usually plant them in February). Since we now have "climate chaos", as Monty Don calls it, I guess the only way is to go by what your local weather has been/is expected to be.
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fence post
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I think 'after the danger of frost' would be a little late! That would be June in my neck of the woods. I've always planted shallots in January with no ill effects.
A.guest

is the old addage,I do do this but my shallots are planted in 3" pots in an unheated tunnel and planted out when things are more clement (usually early march in my area, "darn sowf"). Like most things its what facilities you have,how much effort you want to go to, and if the conditions are right. Conditions this week are fairly mild here and shallots could be planted. I definately would like to have them planted by mid march at the latest. they will tolerate frost.
Geoff
KG Regular

After posting I looked up Sue Strickland's article from last year. It looks like I must keep the Sante until April or they will bolt so might also keep the Golden Gourmet for a few weeks. I had planted them in trays of fairly dry compost in the insulated but not yet heated greenhouse but I shall transfer them to egg trays alongside the potatoes in the spare bedroom.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I plant mine in raised beds mid February as I have the benefit that they are not sitting in waterlogged soil. If the weather looks particulally ferocious a bit of fleece over the top will keep them happy.

I also grew shallots from seed last year, a variety called prisma by Thompson & Morgan. They formed single, red, golfball sized bulbs with excellent flavour. None bolted and some are still in store with no ill effects. I highly recommend them and have sowed two packets in the greenhouse this week.

David
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

I planted my Longue shallots back in January. Since them they've sat sullenly in the soil, as if they were sulking.

A few weeks back I couldn't bear the suspense and gingerly lifted one - to my joy, there was a mass of roots underneath!

This week, several of them have also started sprouting shoots.

Colin
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Jude
KG Regular

Went to look at my shallots today and I think they've drowned. Depressed.
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Compo
KG Regular

I got mine in a raised bed and planteed em last sunday, one or two of em have lil green tips on top already, the old timers on my plot say they like a little bit of frost once they have started to shoot.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Deb P
KG Regular

We're off to France tomorrow for a week, I'm going to be scouring the local markets for those 'banana' or any other type of shallots to bring back and try in my raised beds...worth a try?
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Very much so Deb, The ones I bought in Normandy last year were a mixture of sizes, hopefully to stop the lot running to seed. The biggest were about 6-7" long and taste exquisite. They were all planted in raised beds 3 weeks ago and are growing on well.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Deb P
KG Regular

Sound fab, I can't wait now! Off to get those euros....
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Another item worth getting Deb, later in the year if you go again is Garlic. I planted a load in October and so far its the best crop I have ever had. Look out for seeds as well, soooo much cheaper and bigger packets too.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Deb P
KG Regular

Thanks for the tips, I'm makins sure everyone only packs minimal stuff to take so I have plenty of room in the car for goodies! And wine of course....
vivie veg
KG Regular

OOOHHHH,

I cringe at your caveliar attitude to smuggling.

With tabacco and spirits you are only defrauding the tax man, with smuggling plant material you could potentially be unleashing god knows what pests and diseases onto your's (and potentially the whole of the UK's) plots. Please think twice before bringing anything back. Imported fruit, veg, flowers and plants get fumigated to kill off the nasties.

I used to work in a plant making rice pudding the rice always had to be fumigated and one consignment was full of little black beetles, thankfully dead by the time we got it, the whole lot had to go back as it was unusable for rice pudding...gave the product a bit of a crunch :wink: Incidentally, organic rice (dried) had to be frozen on importation and kept frozen until we cooked it to stop any living organisms growing/breeding.

It is however alright to bring back seeds, especially in the foil packets. So see what Aldi have to offer over there.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic