pea tips

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

I am going to grow some peas,but I want to eat the tips which I have nbeen told are fab . Has any body tried this before?, if there a specific variety go go for or will any seed be OK.

Any help from fellow growers would be great.

Thanks

Tracie
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Tracie

Yes, they are great.

Have a look at this old thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6338

I am now growing them 80 peas to a full seed tray - currently eating this year's second tray. For this I use dried marrowfat peas - £1 for half a kilo. Go for it girl!

I will certainly grow some as described in the old thread, and allow to go on and produce a crop of pods.
thetangoman
KG Regular
Location: Land of golden sands,blues skies,cold beer and magical sunsets.

Pea shoots are really excellent when added to a salad..very fashionable with young trendy chefs as well !!!
alan refail
KG Regular

IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG (47.46 KiB) Viewed 7136 times

Here's a tray of peas I sowed according to my last post - though only about fifty to the tray (80 was far too crowded).

They were sown on 10 August and this picture was taken 29 August. Some will be harvested for salad tonight.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Cool pic of your pea tips Alan.
Peas are great simply sprouted too Tracie, even quicker just two to three days and deliciously sweet and crunchy, you could do some sprouts while waiting for the tips. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
glallotments
KG Regular

I'll have a go at this - were the peas just those sold in the supermarket Alan? Seems ideal for setting under my grow light through winter
alan refail
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:I'll have a go at this - were the peas just those sold in the supermarket Alan? Seems ideal for setting under my grow light through winter

Half kilo bag of Suma marrowfat peas (£1.09 from local healthfood shop). Any brand of decent dried peas should be fine.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
freddy
KG Regular

Hi Alan.

Like a few others, I've never heard of these before. A couple of questions, does one eat the tendrils too? And, thinking I might try this, how many trays should I sow?

Cheers...Freddy.
The future aint all it used to be
alan refail
KG Regular

freddy wrote:Hi Alan.

Like a few others, I've never heard of these before. A couple of questions, does one eat the tendrils too? And, thinking I might try this, how many trays should I sow?

Cheers...Freddy.

Hi Freddy

a) Yes

b) one to start with, then as many as you feel you can eat :wink:
freddy
KG Regular

Hi Alan, thanks for the reply.

Just another point. Do you actually leave them in their seed trays as they grow? If so, do you feed them?

Cheers...Freddy.
alan refail
KG Regular

freddy wrote:Hi Alan, thanks for the reply.

Just another point. Do you actually leave them in their seed trays as they grow? If so, do you feed them?

Cheers...Freddy.

Hi Freddy again

The answers this time are a) yes and b) no.

The idea of the seedtray method is that you cut them at the height in my photo; any regrowth is a bonus cut.

For the other method which involves planting out and growing on for shoot cropping and a bonus crop of peas, have a look at my thread of three years ago (and note my failure from a very late sowing) - works well if peas sown in early spring.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6338
freddy
KG Regular

Hi again Alan.

Thanks for that :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic