Early sweetcorn article...

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:The difference between Tigger and myself at our latitude (we are on the same latitude) and Arthur is surely down to climatic conditions of the latitude of North East Scotland. Sweetcorn in tunnels hereabouts generally ends up in failure and suggest that there are so many variables between us and Arthur it is very difficult to pinpoint exactly why.

I've successfully cropped sweetcorn in Yorkshire, the Midlands, and in Devon. I'm not suggesting that always growing corn in tunnels is a panacea for success, just that it's always worked for me, is all.
Allotment, but little achieved.
realfood
KG Regular

I took part in the Gardening "Which" trial of Mirai sweetcorn last year. Using the methods described in my previous post, in Glasgow I got good results with the tendersweet cobs. I only grow tendersweets now. The trial also involved sowing direct into the ground at the beginning of June, with as I expected, slow growth and no cobs.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Felix,
Certainly I can appreciate that in the higher latitudes, like Arthur's, to grow in tunnels is possibly the only way to get a crop but why you should waste valuable tunnel space, when by using a suitable variety in Yorkshire, Midlands and Devon, would result in good returns grown outside, totally defeats me.
JB.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Felix,
Certainly I can appreciate that in the higher latitudes, like Arthur's, to grow in tunnels is possibly the only way to get a crop but why you should waste valuable tunnel space, when by using a suitable variety in Yorkshire, Midlands and Devon, would result in good returns grown outside, totally defeats me.

To get an early crop is why. I grow it outside also, for later pickings. I don't see it as wasted space. I absolutely love sweetcorn, me. Mmm. Sweetcorn. Mmmmmmm.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

There is another sweetcorn thread sonewhere from last year. Somebody -own up now please! - suggested that the way to get good pollination is to sow twice - the second sowing once the first has germinated or some 3 weeks afterwards. Plant in blocks with alternating early and late sowings. This is because the flowering heads with the pollen usually appear after the female parts which get pollinated, so the later sown plants flower at the same time as the earlier ones are ready to get pollinated.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Rubykitchen
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy, no not teaching grandmother to suck eggs thanks - will consider the direction of the wind!

Also - don't know what you think, but seen few pics recently (Joy Larkom) where they plant in a circle instead of a block - thinking might try this as also take up less space.
glallotments
KG Regular

We wouldn't try growing early corn - we often plant ours after everyone else on our site and ours catches up. I prefer to gorw things at the normal time as that is what eating seasonally is all about. Growing things early often means heating a greenhouse which is something I don't want to have to do.
peter
KG Regular

Check your profile settings, but you should get notifications on any thread or subforum that you subscribe to, as well as from any thread you either start or post a reply to. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic