Forked parsnips

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I agree, Mike, food is for eating, not looking at or winning prizes with! As I said in my first posting, even the forked parsnips were perfectly edible, I just wondered why they had forked so badly this year.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Glallotments asked if some varieties were more prone to forking. Not sure of a proper answer, but i wonder if a shorter variety like Avonresister might be less prone to forking, as it has got less distance to push into the soil to hit all sorts of troubles.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I certainly don't grow for show, but thought I'd try the idea to get something which was easy to prepare for cooking. Try cleaning and scraping the twisted one - which is pretty typical of the ones grown normally. I think it is time well spent making the holes and filling them with compost (which didn't take long anyway) if I get nice smooth straight parsnips.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Sorry, PP, I didn't mean to rubbish your wish to grow straight parsnips. I prefer mine that way. The twisted ones I have to cut up first to clean them.

Another point is that I probably dig them up too late, when they are bigger than they need be.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Tom d'Angler

I am so glad I read this thread. Last year all my parsnips and carrots looked like the one on the left in the picture! I wasn't going to bother growing them this year ... until I read this thread. Now I am very excited about having some great parsnips and carrots.
Westi
KG Regular

Tom - are you not a wee bit chilly in that pic you're using as your avatar?? :D (Don't tell me you just cracked the ice for your early morning dip and are preparing for a quick snow exfoliation)

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic