Coir pots

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Has anyone used these, and what did you think about them?

I've bought a plant in a coir pot from Harrogate spring flower show and wondered how successful they are in breaking down as I assume you plant the pot and all in the ground.

I wondered how soon the pot breaks down and whether it might constrict the plant roots if it isn't kept well watered until it does break down.

Any info gratefully received.
Colin_M
KG Regular

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but earlier this year I was also interested in coir:
http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8142&hilit=coir

I would add that the coir jiffy plugs (ie. diffferent from what you have) do seem to work. They take longer to re-hydrate and the coir filling is lumpier and coarser. However rootlets seem to have no trouble growing through them.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks Colin, I've stopped being lazy and looked it up on Google. The pots are made from coir bound together with latex and should break down when planted in the soil in three months. It says that if you keep it as a plant pot it should last 9 months. It doesn't mention watering it etc, but I should think it would need to be kept moist.

I just wondered if it constricted the roots as it is thicker than a Jiffy pot, but they say the roots can grow through it easily in the ground.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Note this relates to Jiffy plugs, rather than pots or direct use of coir as a peat substitute in compost mixtures.

I found this supplier provided coir Jiffy plugs that worked really well. The material "wetted" well and the plugs were ready to use in less than 5 minutes if you use warm water to re-hydrate them:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170452158403

I've tried a few other suppliers and the material wasn't as good.

I realise that Jiffy plugs may not be everyone's preferred way of starting seeds, but with limited space they seem to work for me and help me get things started easily indoors. With increasing focus on the scarcity of peat (eg. several brands of compost seem to have changed their formulation - not always for the better) I was keen to see how usable coir is - it seems fine in this example.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Just thought I'd give an up-date on the coir pot in question. I've kept it in the greenhouse with a houseplant in it. I've watered the plant just the same as in an ordinary pot. It does seem to keep moisture in for longer than a plastic pot. It has kept its shape and doesn't seem to be breaking down at all and is quite pleasant to look at. The only thing I don't like about it is the strong smell of rubber, but this isn't as bad as when I first got it.
Colin_M
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:J It has kept its shape and doesn't seem to be breaking down ..... strong smell of rubber

Mmm, that's weird - sounds like they used a lot of latex!

I've now re-read your original post (sorry, my entry wasn't directly applicable to your question). I was surprised that what should be a porous material wouldn't lead to the contents of the pot drying out quicker than say terracotta or plastic. Guess the latex must make it quite impermeable.

I suppose that idea behind your pots is more like those biodegradable carrier bags or pint "glasses" made from corn starch - not really meant to change our use of something but just reduce the impact it has when we no longer need it.
SliceOTomato
KG Regular

My apologies for the lateness of my reply, but I happened to find this thread while searching for Coir pots. I'm pretty new to the world of gardening and one of my friends had suggested Coir pots as a means of easy planting. The only issue is that I haven't been able to find them anywhere in NYC (obviously where I live). Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction! Are there any places that sell these pots wholesale?

Either way, thanks for all your help! I look forward to diving into the conversation!!! =D
Last edited by SliceOTomato on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eve
snooky
KG Regular

Evening SliceOTomato,
Welcome to the Forum :D

Try:-Henry's Farm and Greenhouses,
Holtwood,
P.A.

Phone,apparently, is best:-(717)284-3178
Fax:-(717)284-3162

http://henrysgreenhouses.blogspot.com

They have started using Coir pots so they may be able to advise you on where you may purchase them.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic