Quince Tree Varieties

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marken
KG Regular

I'm thinking of planting a quince tree. Some varieties of quince turn a beautiful rose pink colour when baked. Does anyone know a variety that will do this? Also, can they be grown on a rootstock that will moderate the eventual size? Any ideas?
MrsL
KG Regular

Vranja is a good one, it's the one I have. I think most are grown on rootstocks these days. The most beautiful blossom too.
Try Adams Apples or Deacon's on the IOW, where I go mine from.
Hope that helps.
Marken
KG Regular

Thnks MrsL - have you found that this variety does indeed turn that lovely pink colour?
MrsL
KG Regular

Yes it does, and makes a very beautiful jelly and wine.
Marken
KG Regular

Thanks again MrsL.
I have used quince to make membrillo or even better baked them as they do in Turkey.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Marken, I've got a Vranja too, from Deacons and got bucket fulls from it last year. I love membrillo, but am interested in your suggestion for baked quinces - do you just bake them as they are, or do you have a recipe? They do make lovely deep pink membrillo.
Marken
KG Regular

Hi PLUMPUDDING,
I couldn't find my original recipe but this one is similar:
http://recipesfromstella.blogspot.com/2 ... uince.html
The only additions I would say is that I cover the quince with foil to prevent drying out and I lower the temperature, baking for much much longer - up to 4/5 hours. It seems the long cooking time allows the deep red colour to materialize.
If you can stand the suspense, I'll post the original recipe later when I am at home - its stored on my home computer!
Marken
KG Regular

OK, here is the original recipe that I used;
http://inpraiseofsardines.typepad.com/b ... that_.html

I'm sure you will enjoy this - its not just the flavour but the texture too. By the way, I usually make up a large batch and store in the fridge. They all get eaten within a week but I'm sure would keep much longer. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They sound lovely Marken, thank you. Now I've got something to do waiting for the snow to melt.

I can now use up the last few quince that have been looking sorry for themselves in the conservatory.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic