Squashed bay tree!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marge
KG Regular

During some recent gales my poor bay tree which had finally grown to a decent size and was going all pom pom, was hit by a large metal pole(!) The tree is OK except for the branches at the middle of the pom pom were cut away.

What should I do to help the bay tree to bush out again?
Reine de la cocina
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Marge,

I shouldn't worry about your bay tree, they put on lots of growth every year and if you give it a trim to make it a decent shape - if it needs it now, and then the middle will fill in next year, and just needs clipping so the new shoots don't get too long. They will then branch and fill the gap. It might take a couple of years, but should soon look like you want it to again.
Marge
KG Regular

Oh thank goodness for that :) I had been so concerned because I grew that tree from a little plant over 5 years, but thought following the damage that that might be it.

I shall follow your tips about pruning the new shoots etc.
Reine de la cocina
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

my bay tree isn't squashed - at least not unless its roots are <g>
I've had it in a pot for several years but am thinking of putting it in the ground in the allotment.........someone yell at me if that would be a bad idea please
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi MKPF

Well my bay did well enough when I took it out of its pot, teased out the roots and planted it outside - and that was 5 years ago. Go for it.
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

thanksAlan, I will.......
alan refail
KG Regular

Here it is after another two years. Or should I say here they are. What I planted was a pot of two or three cuttings, bought for a couple of quid as "kitchen basil". There must be male and female there, because even after last winter's severe frosts they flowered profusely this summer and the female trunk is now awash with ripening berries.

IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG (34.15 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
Attachments
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG (53.14 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Jude
KG Regular

I'd be a little bit wary about putting it out just now especially if it will be at all exposed, it might not have time to get established before the first frosts. Bay is reasonably hardy once it's got going but will it have time?
I planted a big one out into a sheltered border a couple of months ago and it's doing very well, fingers crossed.
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Westi
KG Regular

Are Bay berries edible :?: :?:

Westi
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Bay 28-2-2912.JPG
Bay 28-2-2912.JPG (20.73 KiB) Viewed 6361 times

An update. Here is the seedling from a bay berry I saved last year. Sown 28 February 2012 and now about 3cm high.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Westi , I found this link which says bay tree leaves and berries are edible and gives properties http://www.edible.co.nz/fruits.php?fruitid=65
Can get confusing when US call myrtle bayberry. :) Now I'm wondeing how to tell if my single bay tree is male or female, perhaps it would like a mate! :roll:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi NB

Bay sexing: the only way is to have a look at the flowers.

Pictures here

http://users.telenet.be/laurusinfo/laurier/lnob_en.htm
Westi
KG Regular

Hi NB

Looks like I will be going into that distracting world of google to see how to use the berries. I'm expecting dried and crushed or such but will let the forum know. Won't be experimenting this year though as no berries but maybe next year.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic