cabbage varieties for poly tunnel production

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

nemo
KG Regular

cabbage varieties more suited to growing in a polly tunnel so far the varieties i have tried have grown huge and took up a lot of space what would you recommend.is there a seed catalogue the offer all vegetable seed that are selected for poly tunnel production
regards
nemo
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Nemo,
With respect, are they are only huge because you have let them get so.
I have only ever grown the Pointed varieties which can be grown in closer plantings and although they can get to a descent size they generally do not become mammoths.
I know of no catalogue for such seeds but generally the varieties that are suitable for Greenhouse/Tunnel growing are marked with a small Greenhouse along side the details. I have just had a brief look through the brassicas in Moles Commercial Catalogue and failed to find any especially for or can be grown under cover.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Nemo

I'm 100% in agreement with Johnboy. It's quite easy to grow small cabbages under cover. Like him I only grow pointed varieties and plant fairly close. My most successful is Précoce de Louviers from Real Seeds, which I sow early March for summer cutting and early September for spring greens/early summer cabbage - never fails. I also grow Greyhound and Offenham Compacta in the same way.
Last edited by alan refail on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
Almost the same varieties. I grow Cour Di Bue plus Greyhound and Offenham Compacta. The reason for Cour Di Bue is because they seem to mature and stand well for absolutely ages. Of all the cabbages for sweetness the pointed one have my vote every time.
JB.
nemo
KG Regular

thanks
it makes since what you both are saying i will get 2 of the above varieties and look froward to smaller cabbages. if i plant them closer together this will help to keep them small in size
thanks again
nemo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic