tomato seeds

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Bal
KG Regular

I sowed my tomato seeds in modules and kept them in a plastic seed tray with a plastic cover ( they are called propagators).It was kept in the house in room which gets heat from my central heating which is switched on in the morning for about 3 hours and again in the evening for about 4/5 hours. No other special heating. The seeds germinated within a week. I removed the plastic cover and then kept them on a window sill where they obtain a good amount of light.It is now 12 days since I sowed the seeds. The plants are now between 2 to 4" tall with a second set of leaves starting to show. The problem I have is that I read somewhere that the plants should be potted when the true leaves are formed.Not sure whether what has been referred to as true leaves are the new ones coming up and whether I should wait until they reach the size of the first 2 leaves before potting.Would my plants be considered leggy at 4" tall with just 2 leaves and the other two just coming out?
Your comments advice will be highly appreciated.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Yes, they are definitely leggy. With tomatoes it isn't such a problem as when you pot them on you bury them up to their seed leaves at least. Tomatoes will root very easily from their stems. However, they obviously need more light and perhaps a little less heat. Do you have anywhere outside you can put them that's fairly warm? You can bring them in at night if you don't have a heated greenhouse.

Try buying Turkish tomatos! A few years ago I went to Istambul and bought a packet of toms for a fwr pence. Unsure what variety as I don't read turkish but they are a typical eastern med knobbly toms with great flavour... they also have a habit of sending out flower trusses where you normally pick off sideshoots very odd ....Oh btw we still have a teacupful of seed left as I only grow about a hundred of these a year.
Chris
KG Regular

Bal

Your tomatoes will be OK if you plant them now into 4 inch (7 cm) pots as deeply as you can with the first leaves just above the compost. Keep them on the windowsill with as much light as they can get. Think about where they will go in a few weeks time - you will need a cold frame or greenhouse or plasic greenhouse to raise them in before they can go outside after the last frost.

Chris
Chris
Bal
KG Regular

Thanks Jenny & Chris. Comments noted
Allan
KG Regular

I usually have to plant my tomatoes deep but I always strip off the bottom leaves before burying that part. The hairiness of the lower stem means that extra roots will form there to the benefit of the plant. Deep roots for water, shallow roots for feed.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic