early spuds and toms

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jaycee

Does anyone know if growing early potatoes in an unheated greenhouse,in pots,will affect my toms when planted??

I heard somewhere you should not plant tomatoes were potatoes have been grown,obviously fresh compost would be used???
Speedy
KG Regular

I've grown early potatoes in pots (charlotte) and then had tomatoes in the same unheated greenhouse for the last couple of years without any problems. They are both from the same plant family & therefore could suffer from the same diseases, but it would be too early for blight to be a problem and as long as they do not share the same soil or compost they should be alright. Hope this helps.
Mistakes are good as long as you learn from them!!!
Tigger
KG Regular

I got away with it last year, so I'm not chancing it again. My early spuds are going in the unheated tunnel with peppers, chillies, cucumbers and the like and the tomatoes (if they ever put their heads above the soil) are having a home to themselves in the other tunnel.
Chantal
KG Regular

I've got my potatoes in tubs in the unheated greenhouse which is where my tomatoes will later be planted. Why will this cause a problem? I understand they're the same family and can get the same pests, but as the potatoes will be going outside in their tubs as soon as it warms up and they go nowhere near the greenhouse soil, I don't get it. Help me to stop being so thick. :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

My first earlies/earlies don't go outside, so they could be a problem for the tomatoes.

Only the main crop live in the real world.

Hello - earth calling Chantal.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic