Potato planting

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

David
KG Regular

Hmmmm none of my pots have chitted after sitting in the greenhouse in boxes for nearly three weeks.

They are Foremost, Charlotte,Maris Peer, Pink Fir Apple and Desiree.

The mag recommended getting them all in the ground before the end of March - but can I plant them unchitted?

Last year was a riot of chits so I'm a bit bewildered.

Thanks

David
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Chitting is not really needed for first earlies such as Foremost and some of the Pink Fir Apple or similar are hard to get good chits on anyway.

For the others it may be worth putting them in where it is a bit warmer for a week or two and not worry too much about the March deadline as it is plenty cold enough out in the ground at the moment, not planning to plant mine out just yet.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Speedy
KG Regular

My spuds are exactly the same....put it down to the extremely cold weather. Even the earlies in pots in the greenhouse havn't shown themselves yet. I'm sure they will catch up though.
Mistakes are good as long as you learn from them!!!
peter
KG Regular

Seed Merchant hasn't sent mine yet.
Chased today and they are all in, but SM is keeping an eye on the temperature, so they don't get frozzed en-route.
Frustrating, but took the dog out earlier, but after dark and the wind is whistling up the shallow valley behind the house and into the allotment site and its b!**&£ cold. Bite any little shoots right off. :evil:
Phil S
KG Regular

my potato eyes are still white and small but have keot them coverd with flease to ward of the cold!
time is short. enjoy!

Does anyone know when best to plant potatoes by the moon. 2 years ago i planted 'charlotte' according to a book 'gardening & planting by the moon' and they were hugely successfull- particularly given most of my neighbours crops did not fare well therefore i'd like to plant again by the moon but without the book i don't know when - Any suggestions
Chantal
KG Regular

I've got the 2006 book and if as I understand it Potatoes come under Root plants (logical) and should be planted from 10am on Friday 24 March until noon on 26 March or from 1pm on Saturday 1 April until 7pm on Monday 3 April.

If you haven't got them in by then, let me know and I'll give you some more dates.

I hope I've read this right!
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pigletwillie
KG Regular

mmmm What if its snowing?
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chantal
KG Regular

I think you have to wait for the next date. I've yet to read the book thoroughly but I'll get back to you on that, sometime.
Chantal

nog
KG Regular

I wouldnt plant them till mid April this year. Mine are still sitting there efusing to Chit...
Chantal
KG Regular

Tuesday 11th - 5pm on Thursday 13th April
3pm Thursday 20th - 7pm Saturday 22nd April
Saturday 29th - Sunday 30th April

Must have stopped snowing and warmed up by then...
Chantal

Thanks very much for the dates.
I couldn't wait so i stuck them in on the March date (it was March the last time i planted potatoes so i am confident)also my next door neighbours planted in the same lunar window, independently. I'll let you know.
My spuds had loads of chits on- i bought them on a trip to jersey where i think the climate is very mild(i wanted to try growing jersey royals).
David
KG Regular

Slightly off subject I know but didnt I hear somewhere that jersey royals are like champagne - if you grow them somewhere else they arent truly jersey Royals?

Just curious?

David
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm under the impression that they're the same potato but name is copyrighted and if they're not grown in Jersey then they're called International Kidney. I may be wrong...
Chantal

lizzie
KG Regular

Bang on there Chanters. Jersey Royal is just the marketing name. Only Jersey can use that name due to the unique growing conditions there. They are all planted and harvested by hand and that's why they're so bloody expensive. Tasty though, with a bit of butter and some mint!!!! Yummy yummy
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic