too early for earlies?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bigpepperplant
KG Regular

is it too early to plant potatoes outside? I've had some Earlies (Noisette) chitting away for a while and have prepared a bed with manure and put black plastic over it for almost a month. Am planning to keep the plastic over them and grow them through it... Itching to get them in the ground...
nog
KG Regular

Remember last year we had a frost in first week of May and a lot of people got court out. I had hoeed mine up the night before so was ok.

If you do plant now hoe them right up..every week. wwe ould still get a frost.
jane E
KG Regular

I often plant really early, but this year has been VERY cold and still is. Wait until the daytime temperatures get higher and there's a blink of sun one day and plant them then. Then keep them hoed up or covered with fleece until JUNE!
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

thanks for the advice, I'll wait a while
John
KG Regular

Hello BigPepper
Get them in the ground now but be prepared to cope with a late frost. At least start half a row off, as those really early potatoes are such a treat its worth all the effort.
As your soil has been covered for a month, it will be in ideal condition for planting. The tubers will be fine while they are establishing in the soil as we are unlikely to get any prolonged penetrating frosts from now on in your area. Once they have poked their heads above ground you will need to be aware of frost threats. If frost is expected just cover the growth with a few sheets of newspaper and throw a sheet of fleece over everything until the frost lifts.

John

PS If you are chitting somewhere warm, do harden the tubers off before planting them.
Ian F 2

I usually have my first earlies in the ground by now, having covered the soil since January, However snow over the last two weekends has slowd me down, so I will probably plan next weekend, weather permitting

Once planted I keep the clear plastic on, and earth up until it warms up. I then watch out for cold nights, and cover with fleece.

One wau to get a head start is to try a few earlies in pots in an unheated greenhouse - I always get good resultd with them
Tigger
KG Regular

I always grow my earlies in the unheated tunnel. Only the main crops go outside. It's easier and much more reliable.
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

thanks for all your advice. i've got a couple of pots of earlies already in the unheated tunnel. Would plant up beds inside with them too but no room so think I'll chance a couple of rows outside and get my newspaper ready...
John
KG Regular

bump!
Helenclare
KG Regular

I just wondered...is it ok to put hay over the top of your planted earlies to keep them warm? Thats what I've done and just was worried if I was doing the right thing!!
Thanks Helen
Compo
KG Regular

If the mulch is thick enought and you can guarantee it won't blow away that is ok I have heard that lining the trench with a thick layer of newspaper and putting the spuds in that with a layer of organic matter then more newspaper or straw / hay on top will keep the frost away, I don't have the advantage of a polytunnel so have made a cold frame out of timber approx 8' x 4' and two foot high covered in polythene and have put my earlies in a row in there.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
John
KG Regular

Hello Helenclare
I've covered my earlies with straw in the past and then put netting over it to keep it in place. Do remember to put slug pellets under the hay/straw though otherwise you'll have created an ideal spot for slugs and snails - they'll cause havoc eventually when the tubers begin to form. Mice can be a problem too.

John
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic