Stored Apples

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Do you remember the tip Toby Buckland gave on Gardners' World, about storing apples in plastic bags?

Well I have tried it and they keep much better than the ones stored individually on open trays. We had such a good apple crop last year that I've still got loads to use up and the Sunset and Saturn in bags are still really good.

There are one or two per bag going off a bit, (I did put a lot more in each bag than he recommended) but the others are still a good texture and taste. I've had a lovely glass of apple juice from the Sunsets with my lunch and they still taste just like fresh apples.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Do you remember the tip Toby Buckland gave on Gardners' World, about storing apples in plastic bags?

Well I have tried it and they keep much better than the ones stored individually on open trays. We had such a good apple crop last year that I've still got loads to use up and the Sunset and Saturn in bags are still really good.

There are one or two per bag going off a bit, (I did put a lot more in each bag than he recommended) but the others are still a good texture and taste. I've had a lovely glass of apple juice from the Sunsets with my lunch and they still taste just like fresh apples.

I don't know the tip at all, Plumpudding. Could you possibly repeat it, as my outlaws give us loads of apples from their trees ?
Many thanks, in advance.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi there,

He suggested putting the apples in bags - he used freezer bags and pierced a few holes in them first and put about 8 apples per bag so they could lie flat in storage.

I had such a lot of apples that I put about 18 into ordinary supermarket carrier bags and didn't bother putting holes in them as they usually already have them and didn't tie them up. The carrier bags were large enough to spread the apples out flat just the same and they have kept really well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic