Anyone growing anything unusual this year?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear MKPoshfan, i obtained the Couve Tronchuda seed from http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk

...who are now (sorry to be the bearer of bad news) out of stock
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Of course i am willing to share my packet of Couve Tronchuda, as i only want to grow about fifteen plants.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
goldilox
KG Regular

Thanks for enlightening me about couve tronchuda - I had absolutely no idea what it was. Sounded like we were playing anagrams again :lol:
alan refail
KG Regular

goldilox wrote:Thanks for enlightening me about couve tronchuda - I had absolutely no idea what it was. Sounded like we were playing anagrams again :lol:

Well, we were, actually.
Couve tronchuda is an anagram of Undo cat voucher
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

Old Herbaceous - if you mean it about sharing the seeds I'd be very grateful; also, knowing what this is has filled a gap in my gardening knowledge. I have the video of the 'Victorian Kitchen Garden' produced by the bbc about 20 years ago and the gardener in that Harry Dodson was trying to obtain seeds of this, but of course I didn't see the name written down!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi OH,
It is said that Couve Tronchuda grows to 2ft diameter so what are the suggested planting distances? Couve Tronchuda is a lose leafed cabbage but there is a British cabbage named 'Brunswick' which will also grow to the same dimensions and is a Ball Head type. How much eatable cabbage does anybody need? Good luck in your venture.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear MKPoshfan, i certainly can let you have a few seeds to try them, i'm afraid there won't be that many as there's not many in the packet, but it will give you an idea whether you like them or not.
If you P.M me your address i will post them on to you.

Dear Johnboy, i was trying them as much for the large white ribs that the leaves have, these are supposed to be able to be cooked as mock seakale.

It doesn't suggest a final planting distance on the packet, but i will be leaving 2 feet between the plants, and i would have thought 30 inches between the rows, but i am only going to grow one row so this won't apply in my case.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic