Who has succumbed to putting first seeds in!!!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

MKPoshfan, if you are really desperate to get your parsnips going, start them off in the tall version of roottrainers. By the time they have reached the bottom, the weather might be right for you to plant them outside. I grow mine in roottrainers, albeit not yet.
tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

I always put my pea seeds in guttering to start them off and they always do very well and I get a easrly crop too. The trick is to realy soak the soil before you go to tip the plants out, then the peas slide out easily into your trench and it takes no time at all.

If you have some extra strong mints , crush them up and sprinkle over the top of your planted seeds. The mice can then only smell the mints and do not eat the peas. Magic

Tracie :D
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

well we do - please God - seem to be over the worst of the cold snap for now at least, so I will move them tomorrow and put them under the tunnel cloche
penny
KG Regular

Kittens are very cute so all forgiven. One more has germinated so I guess 2 plants will do.
Today I planted a rosa rugosa hedge on a bank so not too damp, some more broad beans and fingers crossed some swift pots in potato growing sacks in greenhouse mushroom compoast on bottom and rgeularr on top.
Penny
So far the only thing that's green on my allotment is me.
Compo
KG Regular

At last I gor around to it. Some parsnip seeds in toilet rolls filled with compost, had an excellent result with these last year and am still pulling them now so stick with same process I reckon.

Have also put some salad in the greenhouse bed and some carrots in plastic guttering all in the greenhouse (uneated). Spuds are chitting and hoping to get some early onion sets in and some onion and leek seed also this week.

Feels to me as if the season is underway albeit tentatively.
Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

:D

:lol:
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
lizzie
KG Regular

I haven't succumbed yet.........but it's oh so tempting.....I'm just itching to start sowing. I have learned for bitter experience though that it's better to wait until the weather is better. Even if the stuff does get a head start, I still can't plant out till at least late April........so all i'll get is leggy plants if I sow now

I am looking forward to it......my favourite thing to so is sow my seeds and watch them grow :D
Lots of love

Lizzie
dsanderson
KG Regular

I have just taken on a couple of allotment sites for the first time I am soooo excited!! I have jumped the gun and planted a few peas, broad beans, tomatoes and italian peppers. My spuds are chitting too. I have already realised that next year I will wait a little longer. I wondered if someone could explain the guttering idea and if you could give a newbie one piece of advice what would it be.
Bren
KG Regular

Dsanderson-my one piece of advice take it easy,go slowely one step at a time, 2 allotments for startes for a newbe is a lot to take on.
Bren
dsanderson
KG Regular

I would agree with you but I am a keen gardener and this is something I am doing with my husband. My 1 allotment is almost full by the time I put in 40 strawberry plants, 4 gooseberries, 3 rows of raspberries, rhubarb, 2 red currents and 2 blackcurrants. I am beginning to think I won't have enough room for what i want to grow in the way of veg. Then I think how much is enough? Have I made a mistake and run before I can walk?
freddy
KG Regular

Hi dsanderson. It sounds to me that 2 plots will be just fine for your needs given the fact that you have already filled one up. My advice, for what it's worth is, divide the area into chunks (in your mind or on paper) and methodically work through it. That way it won't become a chore and you'll see real progress in a relatively short time. I would say that this is the perfect time to be taking on a plot as the season has yet to get started. Decide which crops are of most value to you and concentrate on these. If you find you have space left over, then grow something that takes your fancy, there's plenty to choose from ! :D Cheers...freddy.
The future aint all it used to be
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

ok I moved the parsnip 'gutters' out into the garden and put them under the tunnel cloche; if it dries tomorrow I must remember to get a fleece sheet down as well to warm up another area.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi MKPoshfan,
Gutters are too shallow for Parsnip germination. The main root will grow too long before you will be able to plant them out. It is for this reason many people employ either toilet roll centres or root-trainers simply as not to damage this all important root.
JB.
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

I meant, I moved the compost out of the 'gutters' and put it in the soil under a tunnel cloche.......
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi MKPoshfan,
Ahhhhh thats much better.
JB.
penny
KG Regular

Kittens in proagator!

Read somewhere that I should take lid off propagator once seedlings were up. So took lid off mine. Came home to find kitties asleep in the half that was empty - only 2 seddlings survived. Wish I had had time to take a picture though. Kittens are flourishing!!!

Penny :lol:
So far the only thing that's green on my allotment is me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic