carrots

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon

Hi all
Last Friday on gardeners world there was an hour long programme on allotments. One of the allotmenteers said that he defeated carrot fly by sowing seed in May and when the seedlings were an inch long he earthed them up to just cover the foilage. As the seedlings grew he continued to earth up until the mounds were about 6 inches high and the danger of carrot fly had passed.
Has anyone tried this method and how well did it work?.
Last year i planted earlier than May, covered the seeds with fleece but they did not germinate.I suspect it was too early and it was too cold.I did not manure the site last year and have not done this year, The soil is quite fine and sandy(mainly imported mole hills)I am keen to have success with carrots this year. Any help greatly appreciated.
The site does not have full sun all day.
Regards Brenjon
Brenjon

I am surprised thatI have not had any replies to my posting and questions on carrots of March 9th. Is the subject of no interest to the contributers to the forum , or have i got B.O(remember that)?
I will try another.
As it is snowing hard now in the North West.( Lancashire). Am I right in thinking that we are about 2/3 weeks behind last years dates for sowing and planting crops in my area?
Replies please.
Regards Brenjon
Tigger
KG Regular

Don't know about Lancashire, but we're at least two weeks behind here compared to last year - if my planting diary can be relied upon.
Jude
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon,
Have a look at 'carrot root fly' in Best Practices started by Pigletwillie and last posted on 1st March.
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
John
KG Regular

Oh dear Brenjon, you seem to be a bit miffed! I'm sure its nothing personal but don't stand too close just in case.
I wouldn't like to rely on earthing up alone as a defence against root fly. Its mainly because these times of fly activity you see quoted are only a very general guide and will vary with season and your own area. It would work best as part belt and braces approach, I think. Earthing up carrots though is always a good idea as it stops the carrot's tops from greening up - this isn't harmful as in potatoes.

As far as this season goes, I think we have all been fooled by a succession of mild winters and early springs in recent years and we are in danger of forgetting what real, normal winters are all about.
John
Brenjon

Hi John
Thanks for the advice. The replies are coming now. Perhaps with all the snow the allotmenteers have nothing else to do but go on the computer, or that i have changed my aftershave.
Regards Brenjon
Happymouse
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon. Try a search for carrots ( the search button is just under Help on top toolbar ) You will find lots and lots of advice on growing carrots. If you grow some great carrots PLEASE come back and share the secret with us as many of us are still wearing gardening L plates.
Make it a habit to be happy
Carrot fly

hello ,

Local farmer try to beat the first round of carrot fly attack by planting in may , and cover the field in fleece for the second attack ,

Works well
Geoff
KG Regular

I sowed fully mesh protected carrots for the first time last year and was really pleased with the germination for about 24 hours before they all disappeared! I sowed again with slug pellets and got good results. I stopped using slug pellets years ago but figured under the mesh protection wildlife couldn't get at them. So perhaps your seeds did germinate but got munched off between your visits to the plot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic