When to plant out?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Ok, so not veggies, but hopefully will get the advice I need here?

I have bought some Pansies and some crocus' from the supermarket. All look splendid, but as they have been indoors, what measures should I take re planting out? I popped them into unheated greanhouse when I got back last night, as felt they needed some shelter, but want to put them in the front garden to brighten it up without havingto worry about them as it is often already frosty when I come home from work.

Thank you
My only prejudice is prejudice
Primrose
KG Regular

There are winter flowering pansies which are out in the open all winter and our outdoor crocus have been flowering despite some frosts which haven't succeeded in killing them. I'd been inclined to take a chance and plant them out and even if the crocus flowers get killed off the bulbs will survive for next year. Pansies are normally pretty hardy.
Compo
KG Regular

If in Doubt cover em at night for a few nights but the weather is forecast to be mild with no frost for the next few days so you could probably put em out and leave them.

Compo
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Took your advice Compo, even after some cold nights just after I planted out doing well! Used bubblewrap as I did not want to cut my fleece- worked well.

Primrose I know they are hardy, and wouldent usually worry, I already have some WFP but they had been inside a warm supermarket for I dont know how long? thats why I was worried!

Thank you both
My only prejudice is prejudice
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic