PLANTING / S0WING NOW?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tigger
KG Regular

And me Compo!!!!!
Weed
KG Regular

Sprinkle the mint bits on the surface I would have thought.... in the hole might work too....do 50/50 to be sure

If you hear coughing you will know it works :wink:
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Weed
KG Regular

Would you believe it.....Been down to the allotment this morning and the perishing meeces have taken a liking to Red Duke of York potatoes.... MINE! :evil:

I am looking for something a wee bit stronger than strong mints! :twisted:
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Haven't planted anything until 1st March, but now ... well, I've planted:

Tomatoes, aubergines, chillis, chives, one variety of cucumber, - all to be germinated inside, plus carrots in a pot, beetroot, peas for pea shoots, peas in peat pots to go outside (to try to get the better of the meeces), rocket and cca mustards/oriental mix - these mustards have been going great guns over the last 4 weeks or so - all the last bunch in the greenhouse, some with additional covers on them.

Some things are beginning to go, tomatoes, chives and aubergines, rocket is up, cca is up. Hoorah!

Then I saw the weather forecast - spring hasn't sprung quite yet, has it????

Haven't planted anything outside yet - my heavy clay is still too wet and cold.

Potatoes are chitting away as I write. But will stay inside for another few weeks yet.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Hi Penny. I may have worded my post in a confusing way. I am intending to sow carrots, parsnips, salsify and scorzonera in 3 raised beds on my allotment. I have read that growing garlic around them may confuse the carrot=fly, so I have sown a number of little seeds and cloves round the edges of these beds. Hence "garlic round the roots". Sorry if misunderstanding resulted.

The 4-year-old celery seeds I sowed last weekend have appeared and look remarkably healthy. I kept them in a sealed plastic bag on a windowsill until germination and now the bag has been removed.

The Outdoor Girl self-saved seed from 2 yrs ago has appeared and so has the Gardeners Delight,but the Potiron Ecarlate and Andine Cornue are taking a little longer. the pepper sare up but not the aubergine. We don't heat our house more than 19 degrees and I don't have heated propagators, so I just take what comes.

I want to get some Good King Henry going,but I've just found out thet it's best sown in November and then forgotten about until the spring stimulates germination. I'll try it in modules in a greenhouse and see what happens.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
penny
KG Regular

Thanks Mike,
Just back from 3 days at Sarah Raven. Fantastic present from a client and excellent for a beginner like me. She recommended Sp Onions North Holland Red too. So I'll try both I think!!
Regards
Penny
So far the only thing that's green on my allotment is me.
Tigger
KG Regular

I'm so envious Penny.........she's a hero of mine.

Back to sowing - I've added more peas and beans this weekend, along with coriander, basil, parsley, more tomatoes, chillies and peppers, courgettes and squashes, spinach, black kale and lots more flowers. Isn't it a great time of the year? :D
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Interested to see you've planted courgettes, dill and coriander, Tigger - I was going to hold off til mid-April for mine. Do you keep them in a heated greenhouse?
Tigger
KG Regular

Yes - propagator followed by heated 'inner sanctum' of one tunnel. Gives me a 4 - 6 week head start.
Tigger
KG Regular

Done lots of pricking out this weekend, so far. Three sacks of compost worth, to be precise! Several different tomatoes, chillies and peppers. dahlias, asters, marigolds, sweet peas, petunias, sunflowers, morning glory, geraniums, cornflowers and many more. Run out of room in the heated bit of the tunnel.

Moved the onions, shallots, beans, peas, spinach, kale and mixed leaves into the unheated part to harden off before putting outside.

Sowing tomorrow. Got some room in the propagators now.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Far too cold to do anything outdoors and it snowed last night. But nothing in the unheated greenhouse has frozen; however, to be on the safe side I'm keeping all the tender seedlings inside.

My tomatoes have all germinated and I've got my second lot of aubergines coming up. All over radiators, so they get bottom heat when they are on.

Anybody want celery seeds [203 "Imperial" - OGC]? Or celeriac "President" or "Prinz"?

mike
and see

penny
KG Regular

Mike,
This toms on radiators sounds like a good idea.
(My family have got over the potatoes chitting which I have (perhaps too early) put 9" down in the ground).)
but am I too late and could I use Jiffy 7s which Sarah Raven was big into and did look like a good idea?
Thanks for all your help.
Penny
PS Carrots still not in because bed not ready!
So far the only thing that's green on my allotment is me.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Penny, I don't know what Jiffy 7's are, but you are certainly not too late with any sowing. I learned some time ago to ignore anything on the tomato seed packet about sowing in January - that's for people with heated large greenhouses and accessories and in the south of England - and even mid-March seems to me to be too early for crops eventualy grown outdoors. As for spuds, there's no reason at all for concern; April will be a good month for planting them out, although I'm sure you have not done yourself any harm by putting in earlies as you said. If you get problems wioth slugs in autumn, i would get your late maincrops in about now, to be dug up by the end of September, but you can keep some earlies back for planting in May if you wish to be getting those varieties in mid-summer.

mike
and see

donedigging
KG Regular

Hi Mike,
Have never grown celeriac, but would love to give it a try. Which would be good for a small space that I have left, President or Prinz?
Tigger
KG Regular

Jiffy 7s are individual units which swell into cells for planting into when you soak them in water. Wonderful things but not cheap.

Ideal for individual seeds, such as tomatoes, chillies, peppers, aubergines, cucumbers, etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic