equinox,solstice.

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allan
KG Regular

What is more seasonal than this topic :?:
I have been having my doubts about the equinoxes and solstices so I did a search. It appears that they are not fixed but are predictable. I think the summer solstice is always the same on 21st. June but haven't checked all possible dates. For the rest there are formulae and calculators, such as

http://stellafane.org/misc/equinox.html

There is also the little matter of the darkest morning and evening not being in step, that is quite adequately covered on the BBC weather website. Alternatively search "analemma"
Allan
Last edited by Allan on Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Allan, thats rather interesting, i did not realise there was so much to it.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
John
KG Regular

Hello Allan
This is indeed a fascinating topic for those of us with an interest in what's happening up there. Winter Solstice on or about 21st Dec is the term most people have some idea of but 'perihelion' (when the earth's orbit brings us closest to the sun) isn't until Jan 3rd and is usually ignored. This site:

http://www.earthtools.org/

is very easy to use for finding your own twilight/sunrise/sunset times - just move the map to put the marker over your own patch and hey presto your own times are shown.

John

PS Looks like we'll miss the Geminid meteors this year because of this awful low cloud.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic