Container Potatoes in the Greenhouse

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chez
KG Regular

Tip from a small nursery owner today:

Grow potatoes in growbags - shake mix so it is evenly divided into two (transverse). Cut bag in half and stand each half on its end. Add a tuber and off you go. Cheaper than pots (which we have just bought more of!) and you can feel when the potatoes are ready.

Also - he recommends Swift over Rocket in the greenhouse, as the foliage is not so tall and they are easier to move around. Apparently the taste is better too. See my posting under 'Tatties' for more detail on that.

We are great fans of Rocket, but will now give Swift a try alongside and see what we think in practice.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Chez,

one of the gardening magazines suggested buying a "taster pack" of your favourite early tatties nad bunging them in the recesses of your fridge until September, then planting them in containers in your greenhouse so that you get new potatoes for Christmas. We actually did this last year with Charlotte potatoes and they worked very well. I will try Swift this time though.

Enjoy.

David
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
jane E
KG Regular

I'd stay with Charlotte - better taste. I would definitely try and taste Swift and Rocket before you go to all that trouble with them. I've always found Rocket so,so bland. Lady Christl is nearly as early and much better tasting. But I suppose every potato may taste differently to each person and we all like different tastes, thank goodness.
Chez
KG Regular

That's a good idea. We tried some (outdoors, under cloches) for that purpose. Carlingford and Maris Peer - they were on offer in KG, but arrived rather late and once planted out caught blight from our maincrop varieties. Then the frost got them. I think we ended up with about six 'marbles'.

Incidentally, we did try Charlotte outdoors last year and were a bit disappointed with it (didn't seem to be very flavoursome), so trying Anya (as one of our taster packs) this year. If Charlotte goes well for you, we could be tempted to try again.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Jane - oops missed your post, while answering Pigletwillie above. We grew Rocket last year alongside our absolute favourite over several years, Foremost. Both varieties in the greenhouse and outdoors. We found the flavour of Rocket to be excellent - similar to Foremost, with that real 'potatoey' taste. I guess it all depends on the comparator used and as you say, different tastes.
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

thanks for the growbag tip, Chez, I think I'll try it with some First Earlies
When you say 'add a tuber and off you go' what depth would you plant the potatoes and would you only use one per half bag?
thanks in advance
Tigger
KG Regular

Sounds like a good idea Chez. I grew first earies in the tunnel last year. Put two land drain pipes (cheap from the builders yard) on each growbag. Make cuts across the plastic within the middle of each pipe and fold each triangle back up the inside of the pipe. Put some more compost into the pipe to keep it secure. Place two or three tubers in each pipe and cover with compost. Keep topping up the compost as they grow until they reach the top.

I think I'll try both methods this year.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Bigpepperplant

Good question! We will be trying this for the first time this year too. OH was speaking with said nursery owner today, so details follow:

Once you have the growbag in two transverse halves, remove about 50% of the compost from each half and shake it up to un-compact it. Place four tubers in the bottom 25% of each half and top back up to the full complement of compost. He also pointed out this method takes up less space than pots, as the growbags stack together more neatly.

I must say I am surprised at the number of tubers he puts in (I would have only gone for two), but will try it with four and see what happens.

Tigger, I will be very interested to hear how it compares with your method too. Good or bad. Do let us know won't you?
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

crikey, four sounds loads, I did it today with just the one per half bag. Maybe I'll add another for good measure... thanks
Chez
KG Regular

It does sound a lot, I completely agree. In thinking about it further, it may be that he harvests his new potatoes at a smaller size(?). I am afraid we just let ours go and often end up with quite large ones, so may try bags with 1, 2, 3 and 4 tubers and see what happens.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Chez, how many would you reccommend putting in my 25 ltr barrels
Kindest regards Piglet

Chez
KG Regular

Piglet - at a guess, I would estimate 4-5. If it was me, I would probably start with 4 and see how it goes. I am fairly conservative though - always concerned about them running out of room. They never have :lol: . Perhaps try 4, 5 and even 6 to see which does best.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Thanks Chez, as I bought 3 tubers of each extra variety to try at Ryton I will put all three in each tub.

Like you I fear that they will run out of room.
Kindest regards Piglet

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic