Planting Aquadulce

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

David
KG Regular

Its me again.
I have just found a packet of Aquadulce that says on the outside that they are specifically for autumn sowing - do they mean that or could I used em up now?

Thanks for any help you can give,

David
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Yes, they will be fine now, depending on soil and location you can sow direct or into modules first.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
spinningfishwife
KG Regular

I put a bed of Aquadulce Claudia in at the weekend....up here in Scotland I find they`re more sucessful planted now than in autumn. I`ll put in a bed of another variety when it gets a bit warmer.
Val
Allan
KG Regular

Yes they will grow and crop but they would keep until next autumn and longer.You need it's hardiness for autumn sowing. I recommend Masterpiece Green Longpod now (February until April), or The Sutton if you want a dwarf.Some like Red Epicure(Unwin), a good cropper but a somewhat different taste. Plenty of other spring varieties to choose from.
Allan
Tigger
KG Regular

I'm with Allan on this one. Longpod and Sutton now.
David
KG Regular

Thank you all. David
old codger
KG Regular

I planted aquadulce last November and i have got 4rows about 4 foot high ,they are covered in beans, i picked about 20 lb last night some of the pods are long with about 8 beans in well satisfied. :D
All the best
old codger
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi OC,
That's fine for you who live in sheltered areas but Aquadulce do not thrive here at all well.
I generally pot grow mine in very early spring and prefer the green beaned varieties. I grow Masterpiece Green Longpod and 8 in a pod is very normal and sometimes 9 or 10 to the pod. I shall have a good picking of these for tomorrows lunch
but not 20lbs which is a very goodly picking.
I have a triple row 33ft long and some sown in April which have really only been planted out a short while which will give me some later pickings. It is from this second crop that I generally freeze because there is so much about when they are ready for picking. This means that the first crop are all eaten fresh which obviously the best as frozen they are never quite the same are they?
JB.
richard p
KG Regular

i grow a few masterpiece, spring sown in the tunnel for an early crop before the spring sown outdoor ones, masterpiece and epicure usually, are ready. i think here autumn sown are a no no , mice , pigeons or pheasants have most of them..and in my opinion there are better tasting varieties than aquadulce :D
Johnboy
KG Regular

Dear God, Richard we agree!! Hooray! :wink:
JB.
PS put the comma after God in case you got the wrong idea :wink:
David
KG Regular

You guys......... what are you like?

A 33 ft long row JB thats serious stuff!
Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic