Raised beds - what and what not to plant

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Beccy,
Oh how I agree with your last sentence!! I suppose that this is what is so wonderful about growing.
I agree with you that if your 3 year old Manure were to be riddled prior to distribution it would be even better but, and there is always a but, the trouble is that the vast majority of gardeners simple do not have three year old rich friable stuff almost good enough to eat (there I go again Romancing!!) so the general rule is not to use manure when sowing Carrots. It takes people quite a few years to get into the great swing of gardening and it is only when you have become really competent that you can then start thinking like you and I do. The point is that for people just embarking on growing the rule is a hard and fast one do not use manure prior to sowing Carrot.
I apologise to David for diverting from the original theme but it is all relevant to a point. Unless you have very old friable manure like Beccy it would be best to not manure for Carrots but to introduce fertility by using liquid manure around end June/July.
JB.

Hi Johnboy,

I am fortunate enough to have a supply of 10 year old plus manure that is like compost but it holds the moisture better, Carrots are not a problem at all, but several beds that have just been filled with standard manure and topped up with the good stuff will be left root vegetable free for a couple of years.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Sorry Johnboy, I got logged out, but that was me
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic