Follow on crops

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sandy_v
KG Regular

I had some good advice from Jerry about leeks following broad beans, and I wondered what other crops you could do this with (not lettuces and radishes etc)
Sandy-v
Chantal
KG Regular

Last year I harvested my onions and sowed beetroot the following week. I'm still cropping this as I covered the rows in fleece before the frosts came. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I have also followed early spuds with things like leeks, carrots, salad crops, beetroot, second crop courgette, peas, etc.

It may not fit into a perfect rotation but it does mean more ground is productive for longer and you spread the seasons a bit, especially with things like courgette.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Sandy,
leeks after 1st early pots.
beetroot, chard, turnips & carrots after autumn onions. Module sow the beets or they will not have enough time to make a crop.
Autumn onions, shallots and garlic after maincrop potatoes.
kale and broccoli after broad beans.
If you are not sure then try it and see. Follow on crops are often more successful from transplants or modules as they will have a head start over seeds in the same place. For some things cloches from september onwards will make a real difference.
Regards Sally Wright.
sandy_v
KG Regular

Thanks everyone, this all sounds great.
The trouble is, The few times I've tried this before, the follow on crops grew to a certain size then stopped when the autumn weather came in. So I thought it couldn't be done-but you all seem to manage.
Am I planting too late or is protection crucial for these later plantings?
Thanks
sandy
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I do use some protection in some cases but if you start your follow on crops in trasypots/modules/etc you gain a few weeks so that helps.

I also like to pick stuff like beetroot, courgette, carrot small so a slighty shorter growing season is not a huge issue.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic