Lemon Grass

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

A neighbour has asked me if she could grow lemon grass in this country. She has no greenhouse but a wide west-facing kitchen window sill and a very sunny, though windy garden. I have found quite a bit on the internet but (a) is it possible to grow it under these conditions and (b) where can one buy roots of it? Has anybody got any experience of growing it?
Monika
KG Regular

You must think I have gone ga-ga, but I think I can answer part of my own question because I have just found the following on a website:

"Bob Flowerdew advised the reader not to bother with seed but to buy a few stems and root them in water instead. In warm weather it takes two to three weeks for the roots to emerge, and another couple for the roots to form into a coiled ball, at which point they can be planted up. New stems shoot out from the base of the parent plant and, if they are kept in a warm and sunny spot, and fed regularly, the pot will soon be filled. Stems can easily be twisted off at the base without damaging the plant. If you like Lemon Grass it’s well worth growing your own rather than relying on the supermarkets to stock it."

That still leaves the question: does it work?
Primrose
KG Regular

This is interesting because I generate new basil plants by this method and had no idea it might work for other stalky plants. Next time I see some commercial lemongrass in the supermarket I may give this method a try. But as lemongrass is not terribly unlike asparagus in appearance I wonder whether asparagus could also be reproduced in this way (which is probably leading this thread off another tangent - apologies !).
Tigger
KG Regular

I've had some success with lemongrass using the Bob Flowerdew method, but no success growing it from seed. I don't need rafts of the stuff, so Bob's method of growing new plants from roots is fine, but only if you want to use it once a week/fortnight.

Suits me Sir!
always_mowing
KG Regular

Hi thanks so much for the info about lemongrass. I started to grow lemongrass from seeds this year and it does seem like they will take eternity :roll: before they grow to be lemongrass. I cook a lot with lemongrass so it's definetely worth trying the Bob's method!
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

I grew a batch from seed last year - quite difficult to germinate i found but the 2 plants i got going are doing well. I've planted 1 in the polytunnel and in in a pot half indoors. The plant in the poly is going a lot better and has stems thick enough for use now.

I have seeds left so am going to try agian with the seeds this year will let you know.

My australian horticultural mate reckons they don't like it much below 10c and need lots of water.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
always_mowing
KG Regular

I put a few lemongrass in water in a jar and the roots started to grow now :D
Will keep you guys posted!!
lynne
KG Regular

ooooo, I'm going to try this too
:)
Where do you go to my lovely, when you're alone in your shed...
Primrose
KG Regular

I'm kicking myself now because potted lemongrass was being sold at a Garden Show we attended on Sunday for £1 a pot, and I didn't buy any because I've never used it before and wasn't sure exactly where it fitted in the herb cuisine culture. Perhaps I should have tried it. Does it actually have a citrus flavour and how do other people use it?
lynne
KG Regular

Primrose - it features a great deal in Thai cuisine. It has a sharp, clean flavour, it's lovely!
:)
Where do you go to my lovely, when you're alone in your shed...
Johnboy
KG Regular

I was talking to a Malayan person some time ago and I asked if he grew Lemon Grass and he said no because it becomes invasive!!! I said that he obviously hadn't tried growing it here and he said no but at home once you grow it you always get too much and in the end set fire to it.
I wish!!
JB.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Why can't OUR weeds taste nice? :?
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
toffeeman
KG Regular

I bought some lemon grass from a Chinese supermarket not long after Xmas and put it in a small vase in and inch or so of water. Nothing happened and I was about to throw the green algae stained stalks out but decided to take the outer skin off and try again about a month ago. Sprouted rooted in a couple of weeks.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

I have about 8 lemongrass seedlings growing from seed - first few attempts didn't work but these are coming on fine.

I was wondering how to pot them on? Do they do well in containers as even though I live in South East I am sure they won't like the winter even here??
toffeeman
KG Regular

Its a first for me as well. I will probably pot them up and keep on a window sill until established then outside for the summer - if they make it that far.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic