Asparagus Crowns

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

hilary
KG Regular

I've just had ten asparagus crowns delivered which I ordered from T&M - living in Wiltshire am I too early to plant out in well prepared bed. looking at the forecast looks like we are going to get some rain this week.
Would welcome some advice -
Thanks
andys
KG Regular

Hilary,

As long as you are not in a frost pocket nor have have a clayey soil I would recommend planting them asap.
But dont let the roots dry out in the sunshine while your planting them as that would damage the plants.

If a heavy frost is forecast, cover the bed with a clear polythene sheet until the weather improves.

I've noticed the tips of the first fronds poking through the soil on my asparagus bed which was planted in mid March last year.

Good Luck

Andy S
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Hilary,
In Wiltshire I feel that you would do well to get your plant planted ASAP.
I would have thought that T&M would have given you planting details with the plants.
JB.
hilary
KG Regular

Thanks - will get in asap and keep some fleece handy. T&M did send instructions but general and with the usual advice if unable to plant immediately.... Never sure if this applies to weather or personal circumstances!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Hilary,
I suspect that the T&M advice is more to protect themselves rather than to you the customer.
Sadly the norm in today's world. I hope that they gave other details as to depth to plant and plant spacings.
JB.
fish
KG Regular

totally agree with johnboy! what type do you have? i planted some 2y/o crowns 3 years a go and am hopeing for a decent crop this year!ive got purple ones,well not me personally i mean the asparagus!!!! :lol:
for all in country living,check out :
www.overthegate.co.uk
mandylew
KG Regular

I'm in north tyneside and just cut my first dozen spears yesterday, yum, these were from 4 yr old connovers collosal grown from seed.

Mandy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic