Corriander

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pigletwillie
KG Regular

If any of you peeps wish to grow a servicable amount of corriander this year, have a go at this, as we had a cracking crop and enough left over to set seed.

Dont buy a little packet, buy a big bag for culinary use from your local Indian grocers shop (as well as being cheap it is generally very good as most Asian housewives are very discerning shoppers). Dont even try to sow it in modules, just mark out say a 2 ft square and broadcast the stuff like grass seed, covering lightly. Follow every 2-3 weeks with further sowings. This will give you amazing amounts to just shear off and use at will. You can leave the last sowing if required to set seed but be aware as a whole block flowering stinks real bad if you get close enough to it.

This info gets regurgitated in the gardening mags occasionally but it realy does work.

I personally think that Corriander is food for the Devil and as my wife loves it, it probably is :twisted:

As well as most seeds and pulses you wont find cheaper mangos from those shops either.

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Allan
KG Regular

That may work if you are prepared to re-sow that often and have the time and space to do it that way, but if you want continuity it's the leaf coriander you need, sometimes called Cilantro which is the Italian name really. Anything else is likely to go to seed rather rapidly as that's it's job.
precious lilywhite
KG Regular

Whenever I try to grow coriander, whether it says coriander or cilantro on the packet it ALWAYS bolts. Drives me mad. I'm definintely going to try your suggestion Piglet.
Regards the smell I read somewhere once that it's a good idea to grow coriander near your carrots as the smell deters carrot fly. Tried it last year and seemed to work, although haven't bothered this year and touch wood haven't got any this year either. Have got a lot of coriander seedlings popping up on the plot now though!
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

precious lilywhite wrote:I read somewhere once that it's a good idea to grow coriander near your carrots as the smell deters carrot fly.

Quite by coincidence, I've managed to do this too.

I started with "kosher" garden centre seed and have some lovely bushy plants. They are just starting to produce those feathery bits, which are usually a prelude to the flowers & seeds, so I will be looking to harvest them soon.

As suggested by Pilet, I've also planted some "indian shop" ones.

DONT DESPAIR ABOUT SEEDS
If you pick the seeds whilst they are green and freeze them, you'll find them very convenient to use whenever you want to add coriander flavour to your cooking. The green seeds have the flavour of coriander leaf and give a small explosion of taste when you bite into them.

No grinding needed. Stored in the freezer, they are available whenever you want them - not when your plant decides to become ready!
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic