Figs.

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tigger
KG Regular

For the last few years, I have left my (large potted) figs fend for themselves outside and they have survived.

However, as the Met Office is predicting a particularly cold winter, will they be alright? I have left them with only the little fruits on, in huge pots, in a sheltered area.

Should I cover them in fleece/move into the tunnels/whatever?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Tigger, since they predicted a really cold winter last year, and we didn't get it, i think i would leave them where they are, if the worst happens you could always wrap them or move them later. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Alison
KG Regular

We have a Brown Turkey fig on a south wall which has been there for probably a hundred years! We have also planted another BT fig, plus a Violetta, and they have weathered two winters with no problems. I don't know what sort of winter you had last year, but we had several very heavy frosts, and the figs were unperturbed.
However, our figs are not in containers. There might be a danger point if the pot frosted through, so that the roots were frosted; so it might be worth while covering the pot round with bubblewrap.
Alison.
Zena
KG Regular

Talking about figs, at what size should i remove fruit or leave them on? I brought fig on a whim from wilkos (don't ask me what variety).it's in a pot and has several small fruit on it. should i leave them or remove them?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Zena, i was starting to get worried about you. :wink:
I should think the fig you have bought is probably called Brown Turkey, quite appropriate for this time of year, don't you think.
If the figs are the size of a small pea leave them on, if they are about the size of a conker take them off now.
Hope this helps. :D

Zena
KG Regular

Thanks Herby - life sort of got in the way for a while, but I'm back now!

They're closer to conker than pea size so i'll remove them and see what happens! Do you think it will need protecing over winter?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Zena, same answer that Tigger got really, depends if you are going to leave it in a pot, if it's in the ground it will be fine, but in a pot it might need the pot protecting if we get the hardest of winters.
And so very pleased to have you back. :wink:

Allan
KG Regular

If it is terracotta I would fear for the pot rather than the fig if it gets below 0 C. for any length of time.In your situation I would be inclined to bury the pot up to the rim and keep the rain off the soil.I keep the main part of my glasshouse just above freezing with a fan heater but I don't have such a problem but not everyone has this facility.
Allan
Zena
KG Regular

In a plastic pot and still fairly small, so I think I'll bring it indoors..

thanks for the advice - glad to be back!
mazmezroz
KG Regular

The main problem I have had with my container Brown Turkey fig is keeping it stable in the wind. Have put in a sturdy post to keep it from rocking about.
Zena
KG Regular

Me and my fig again........

I brought it in to avoid the frosts - it's next to the double glazed patio doors so plenty of light and no draughts. It's got lots of new shots so I think I'm watering it Ok but all the figs have fallen off!
what have I done wrong, please?
Doctor Deb
KG Regular

I bought the same fig from Wilko. It is a brown Turkey, and the instuctions said it would tolerate -5c! I don't trust that, so have kept it in the greenhuse until it warms up a bit. It came with a green fig already on it which is now 2cms long. Do I take it off? and how do I know when to take the "real" ones off!
alan refail
KG Regular

Fig trees are very hardy, not so the fruits. The small figs are the embryo fruit (with the flowers inside) which will develop into the next season's ripe figs. They can be affected by frost - or people picking them off :!: I have a fig which is less hardy than Brown Turkey, which I got as a cutting from a friend years ago. He used to grow it in a greenhouse and got a massive crop every summer. I've had no fruit ripen, due to growing it outdoors.

RHS information may be useful:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles03 ... r_figs.asp

Or, if you want all the technical jargon, look at Wikipedia on FIGS.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic