Willow taking root

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Gerry
KG Regular

I have a willow which I coppice. I would like to make obelisks etc from the cuttings. Can anyone advise how I can stop them from rooting please.
Thanks in advance, Regards Gerry.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Gerry,

I think you turn your willow cuttings upside down, I am not a 100% sure on this :oops: but I know a man who is :) and I will get back to you.

Kind regards

Kevin :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

When I cut some willows down I stacked the branches I was going to log upside down leant against another tree and they still rooted. If you can wait you could try drying them for a year off the ground in a hammock like structure.
madasafish
KG Regular

stick the rootying ends in cresote and leave for a week is my advice.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Gerry,
stack the withies in a large metal dustbin, build a bonfire, put the bin on top and fill with water and bring to the boil.
Regards Sally Wright.
peter
KG Regular

Sally, won't that make the bark come off?

Would making the structure freestanding and allowing to thoroughly dry out in garage or carport before setting in place do the trick.

One local primary made a large and live woven willow dome in the play area and are keeping it neatly trimmed. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Gerry
KG Regular

Thank you all very much for all the thought that has gone into the answers.
I am loath to use creosote as I intend growing plants up the structures.Do you think Cuprinol would do the same job?
If I split the withies would they still root?
:idea: Sally my wife is away and she has a Burco boiler...what the eyes don't see.....
Regards Gerry.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Gerry,
boiling should not make the bark come off as long as you don't rub it in any way. They are not going in for hours only 10 minutes or so. Dunking the ends in creosote or cuprinol is a good idea in theory but as you are going to weave with them you will end up with the stuff all over your hands, clothes etc if you do it before you weave. Leaving the withies to dry out is one way of killing them but they go brittle and will need a long soak before you can work with them.
Spliting the withies will only make both bits root. See the broom in the Micky Mouse/Disney film (magician's nephew?) for details of what happens to a willow stick if you chop it up.
Regards Sally Wright.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Gerry,

It would appear that you do not turn the withies up side down :oops: :?
What my friend does is he dunks the withies in some thing to seal them and stop the moisture getting thru such as Tar or Paint or anything else you can think of that will do the same job. If paint leave it to dry first.

Hope this is of some help

Kevin :wink:
Johnboy
KG Regular

HI Gerry,
The one thing comes to mind is that is illegal to use Creosote now in UK so unless you already have the Creosote you are no longer able to purchase it.
On the other hand Gerry you may be able to purchase in ROI. But I don't think that is what you want to do.
I think Sally's idea should do the trick for you.
Some years back I made two gateposts of Willow about 6" in diameter and 6' long and planted them upside down and even at that size, much to my amazement, they grew. By the time I was able to remove them I needed a JCB to do the job.
JB.
Last edited by Johnboy on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry
KG Regular

Dear Kevin & Johnboy,
Thanks for the info. As I have now got my hands on the Burco boiler I intend to give Sally's idea a go. Thank you Sally.
Regards Gerry.
gloworm
KG Regular

Just bought 25lr of the real crosote from Mole Valley Farmers, it can't be illegal, it does say on the invoice professional use only, so I must be a professional
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Gloworm

I guess that you must live in the West Country if you shop at Mole Valley Farmers. They are the best place to buy most things agricultural/horticultural.

As for creosete it is a wonderful preservative and has been used by BT (mixed with tar) for their telephone poles with good effect for decades.

Barney
gloworm
KG Regular

I live in south Cheshire, & visited Mole Valley Farmers on a recent trip down M5, as they were the only firm I could find still selling "real creosote" I use it to keep redmite under control in my hen house. Mole Valley also sell the substitute stuff as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic