sweet dumpling squashes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jane E
KG Regular

I've grizzled about sweet dumpling squashes all summer. They took an age to germinate. They sat like puddings and didn't grow when I planted them out.Suddenly they've got fruits and are rampaging. I can't actually believe it.
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

Well done, I think I like SD as much as any squash I've tried.

They also seem very convenient & easy for cooking. I've not tried many methods, but a quick spike to release steam then 5 minutes in the microwave seems to give an instant veg.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Primrose
KG Regular

Jane - I think this variety must be a late developer because when I've grown them in the past they always seem to spread out across the garden with lots of leaves and no fruit. One season I was tempted to yank them out because they were almost smothering everything else and were looking a waste of space. I think they must have read my thoughts because almost immediately fruits started to appear. They're one of my favourite squashes - small enough to be used in one meal, and taste like baked chestnuts.
jane E
KG Regular

Suddenly now the metro squashes are fruiting too, when they didn't look like they were going to do anything. I shall have squashes galore!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic