Stuttgart Onions

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Help, I bought too many onion bulbs in the spring, as the half I did not use, seemed quite dry, I wrapped them in a black bin liner and put away in a drawer in the shed. I started getting out my flower bulbs to plant today and discovered that the onion bulbs are damp and sprouting! Will I get away with planting out now, I was going to put in some seeds of an overwinter variety this week. Or should I plant them in the greenhouse, or is there a way I can rescue them for next spring? I guess I have made them sweat by putting in the bin liner to keep them dark?
vivie veg
KG Regular

Firstly, I store my onion sets in mushroom trays, this allows the air to circulate and stops them sweating. They are kept in a well ventilated shed.

Secondly, planting them now very close together (touching) will give you springonions in 6 to 8 weeks :) Throw out the ROTTEN ones, but plant the ones that are sprouting.

Sorry I have never over wintered onions so I don't know if they will work.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Hi Vivie Veg
Thanks for the advise, guess I have got everyone else stumped here, 53 looks, but you are the only reply. I will try your suggestion re spring onions. Maybe Ill put some under glass as well and chuck the rest on the compost and learn by my mistake! :cry:

Where can I get mushroom trays from? :?:
My only prejudice is prejudice
sprout
KG Regular

Hi rbc, sorry not to have replied before - hope you read this before composting! Stuttgart Giant WILL overwinter, I'm setting mine now - if your sets are good, pop them in this month :D
vivie veg
KG Regular

Hi RBC,

I get mine from a local cafe and restuarant.

Try scavaging on the days that the rubbish is put out for collection.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Thanks Sprout, The ones I have are not giant, but I will try some anyway, its been too wet here to do anything in the garden, except pick beans and tomatoes last few days! Hopefuly today, looks like it is clearing and no work to get in the way of gardening! So Ill have another look at the bulbs.
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Thanks Vivie Veg, My neighbour works at the local gastro pub, so I'll ask her, I have been giving her a few beans and tomatoes, so hopeful!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic