Sprouting broccoli

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

amo
KG Regular

I just come back from holiday to find them all gone, eaten by some caterpillar. I was going to plant them this week.

Do you know where I can buy some replacements?

I am so cross with myself for not giving them better protection.

Thank you very much

amo
vivie veg
KG Regular

If you haven't already thrown them on the compost heap, give them a bit of TLC and they might grow back.

Try Car bootsales or some garden centres, but it's getting late.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
John
KG Regular

Hello Amo
Bad luck with the SB plants!
You could try resowing. Its surprising how well brassicas can germinate and will grow rapidly at this time of year. I know that according to the books it's too late for SB but I reckon its worth a try especially as you live in one of the milder areas of the country. Sow the seeds in a small tray outdoors then prick out into say 2½in - 3in pots to give everything the best possible start, finally plant out when they start to become pot bound. Choose a late variety like 'Claret'. You could also try 'Spike' - this is a variety that doesn't need a cold spell to start it into flower bud formation - some catalogues even suggest thay you can sow it up to the end of August.
Your final plants might be on the small side but with a bit of luck you should get a crop.

John

PS Johnboy might pick up on this one. In the past he has put up some excellent postings on getting the best out of SB.
amo
KG Regular

Thanks

I got some seeds left, I got nothing to lose to try again then I will do some this p-m.

Better some small plants that nothing at all!

Sb are my son favorite vegetable and I don't want to disappoint him.

Thanks

amo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic