Kale plugs

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

MattA
KG Regular

slugs came and ate all our kale plants last month. Does anyone know of anywhere selling plug versions that we can get hold of? We are in berkshire
John
KG Regular

Hello MattA
I sow my Kale in modules about now - the same time as my spring greens and grow the plants on in much the same way, ie at close spacing. The vigorous short varieties will make good growth before the winter and we cut the whole plant for the kitchen, like a cabbage, rather than pull leaves off a large plant, as you would if you had sown earlier and grown them in the traditional way.
The smaller plants are not quite so hardy as larger ones. I don't know what sort of winters you are likely to get but here in Glos they stand well through the winter unless we get prolonged severe weather.

John

PS They also seem to be sold in the grocers during the winter nowadays as 'cabbage type' rather than leaves
Belinda
KG Regular

Delfland Nurseries -

http://www.organicplants.co.uk

are showing Curly Kale 'Red Russian' and 'Westland Winter' for sale on their website. 5 plants per pack, £1.50 + postage.
Tigger
KG Regular

Crikey! Get sowing Matt. :shock:
MattA
KG Regular

thanks for all your help. It is the item that we all really enjoy from the allotment although the missus is a bit tired of my kale risotto :D
John
KG Regular

Hello again MattA
Red Russian is a particularly good one to grow from seed. It germinates easily and grows quickly. It's not so hardy as the green types though. The young tender leaves can be eaten as they are and go really well in a mixture of baby salad leaves. Later leaves can be cooked in the usual way.

John
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi MattA,
To add another Kale to your list; Pentland Brig.
PB serves two purposes, a good supply of fresh leaves during the winter months and in spring it sprouts from the stem and gives spurs very similar to Broccoli. These are flower bearing so you must pick them before the flower breaks and they give some excellent eating.
Last edited by Johnboy on Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JB.
Deb P
KG Regular

If you want a quick fix, try:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vegetable-Plugs-c ... dZViewItem

Good value, and feedback is good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic