Nantes frubund?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pillbug
KG Regular

I bought these seeds accidentally,has anyone tried them.Also they are for autumn planting but when is autumn exactly,or do I just do some sucessional planting,guard against slugs and see what happens?
Allan
KG Regular

(from a website)
"Carrot:Nantes Frubund:Fast Crop
Highly commended by the Royal Horticultural Society, UK. It is the first genuine autumn sowing carrot, exceptionally early and cold resistant. It will give you carrots in your garden in the spring when nobody else has them and when they are fetching high prices in the shops. A very important autumn sowing vegetable breakthrough.

Sowing Instructions. Sow from late winter to autumn in drills 1cm (½in) deep, spaced 30cm (12in) apart.

Winter sowings for a really early crop can be made in a coldframe or greenhouse.

Growing Instructions. As soon as the seedlings are large enough to handle, start thinning them out so that they are finally 10cm (4in) apart. The last thinnings will provide tender roots just large enough to be used.

Aftercare Instructions. Continue sowing until mid or even late autumn in mild spells. Harvest late spring onwards."

From my experience I would try from late August but before the end of October. It isn't just a matter of hardiness, the temperatures are so low and the daylight so restricted after October that nothing really grows then so germination will be impossible, you relly need them estabished before then.
Allan
John
KG Regular

Hello Allan
Have you grown this 'Frubund' variety? I'd never heard of it before but sounds like something that's well worth trying. Young carrots in early spring seems like a good idea! Anyone else had a try with it?

John
pillbug
KG Regular

My seeds are from thompson & morgan if thats any help.Thanks for the timing Allan,I should have a bit of ground free then.
Allan
KG Regular

I've never heard of it before. The description of when to sow rather leaves one guessing. Carrots seem to have many mysteries.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic