What can I sew now?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Kerrij
KG Regular

Up until now I have only grown some traditional summer stuff, and am a bit perplexed as to what can be grown for other seasons....

Is there anything I can sew now for autumn/winter/spring harvest?
arthur e
KG Regular

you could sew a tapestry showing how seeds are SOWN at various times of the year and then SOW your own seeds to reflect the results of your tapestry depiction.
Arthur :twisted:
arthur e
KG Regular

Sorry if that seems a bit flippant Kerrij but if you go back to Helen's question in June about late planting/ sowing in this section of the forum it might answer some of your queries.
skip
KG Regular

Last night I planted some japanese seed onions in cells, 'all year round' cauliflower plants, 2 cabbage varieties, one should have been planted in August - but its mild so I thought it was worth a try & I have the seed from last year.

July & august disapeared for me, & i just couldn't get to the garden to do anything other than harvest summer veg. But i have loads of old seed, so decided it was worth a try else the beds will be empty all winter.
I also threw in a few purple kohl rabi in a tray & american land cress to see if it would do anything.
Bit of an experiment as I had the seed left from last year.

Need to buy some garlic & that'll go in soon too.
If i get time I'll spread some green manure at the w/e.
I feel as though I could do with a month in the garden at the mo. Shame I have to work.
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

I've just sown some Spring Greens, Spinach, Radishes and Giant Mustard. Plus some beetroot as a gamble.

I've got some green manure on the go, though some seems to germinate much quicker than the others - Phaecelia, Field Beans are ok, but Tares have taken an age to germinate and there's not much sign of the clover that went in 2 weeks ago.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Zena
KG Regular

I'd love to sow something but when I went to the garden cenre they didn't have any seed for anything that could be planted later than August. i know we're only just in September but I wasn't sure whether to risk it?
I might just concentrate on trying to get the plots weed free and fertilized over winter, ready for the start of the new season.
peter
KG Regular

Bung in some overwintering onion sets. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Wellie
KG Regular

I'm sure it's not what you were hoping someone would say, but quick salad stuff at this time of year is actually quite welcome sometimes....
ROCKET, MIZUNA, PROPER SPINACH ?

I've also got one late sown courgette plant in the offing in case we get an indian summer, and also some late florence fennels that I can cover with a tent-cloche when necessary.

I'm pretty pants at getting stuff sorted for later in the season too, so I'd love some advice as well...
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Johnboy
KG Regular

Wellie dearest,
I love your pretty pants :shock:
JB.
PS. You did tell me it was flirtateous week :wink:
Tigger
KG Regular

JB - When I read Wellie's posting, I knew all we had to wonder about was whether it would be you or OH to respond first. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The early bird catches the worm, so to speak. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fools like them old fools.
Tigger
KG Regular

And he got the pretty p***s as well. :shock:
Chantal
KG Regular

Glory, he's not going to wear them as well is he? :shock:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Dopolous
KG Regular

Perhaps some Broad Beans at the end of the month?
Wellie
KG Regular

OMG....(doing my best Vikki Pollard impression now....) I SO can't believe you just called me a worm, or somefing or nuffin'.... you're SO not A Gentleman.
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic