Onion sets

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon

I have recently manured a raised bed with old manure and broken it down quite finely. I intend to plant onion sets now. Is the soil too rich or would what I intend to do be o.k ? Do I need to add any gromore to the bed now? Advice appreciated.
Thanks
fen not fen
KG Regular

My initial response would be not to feed as you can overfeed stuff and get sappy growth that is prone to pest & disease attack, or poor flavour. It depends on the condition of your soil - has it been well fed before, or is it the first time you have grown on it? Is it a rich clay or a hungry sand? What do you mean by old manure? Is it just well rotted, or has it been around for years, open to the elements? If the latter the nitrogen could well have been washed out, and you may want to feed more. My personal inclination would be to hang fire and feed if the plants look hungry.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon,
If you have put manure down and it is in the soil the only thing that you could do but just before you plant-out is to rake some Wood Ash into the surface but apart from that leave well alone.
JB.
Brenjon

Hi
In answer to your questions. It is a very sandy soil.
By old I mean just well rotted and left out to the elements I will take your good advice as i have already added the manure i will not put on any fertilizer and see what happens.
Thanks again
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic