Sowing Seeds Now

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tom Parsons

I have just sown my early Leeks indoors for transplanting out undercover first before finally outside.
Who’s doing what at the moment?
Beryl
KG Regular

Nothing - too early and too cold.

Beryl.
doddy
KG Regular

At Johnboys' suggestion I have sown onion seeds in a heated propagator and as I always do, will shortly be sowing mangetout peas 4 in a cell followed by beetroot again 4 clusters in a cell. Just getting into the new format, regards and a happy New Year to all, Allan (Doddy)
jane

I haven't sown yet but it's quite a good idea to get sweet peas started in January in cool greenhouse.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I tend to sow my sweet peas in November in a cold frame. They are about 3" now.

I also sowed some carrots in deep pots in a cold greenhouse back in December which are up now and will give an early catch crop. I need to sow a few more.

The next candidates for sowing will be onions and beetroot.

Then in Feb I will start to think about Aubergines, toms and chillies/peppers. This will be in a heated greenhouse though.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Jim

Allan, are you sowing your magetout and beet under glass? In a greenhouse or coldframe or just standing the pots outside?
Mr Potato Head

Er, any suggestions for sowing / growing outside? I don't have a greenhouse, and my coldframe is still a pile of bricks and glass... (a long story)

A friend suggested I should've sown my first onions outside on christmas day, but frankly I was too 'merry'... :oops:
Tony T.
KG Regular

I always sow seeds too early. Too impatient by half.
Regards Tony.
Wellie
KG Regular

I've held off sowing any seeds so far this year, but now that my car's blown a head gasket and I've got a few days off, I'll be starting with the onion seed tomorrow !

Thought you may like to share this piece of info I found yesterday: It's not advisable to sow Leek seed before the 3rd week in January, this avoids the risk of them running to seed later in the season.

So, having had a few bolters last year, I'll try that!

Good luck one and all. Happy sowing !
Wellie
doddy
KG Regular

Hi Jim, Initially in a heated propagator, once they are showing through, into the cold frame. It works for me. Regards
Allan (Doddy)
adamthegardener
KG Regular

I've just sown a few tomatoes, peppers and greyhound cabbage in boxes under plastic on top of the boiler (free propagator!). It's probably too early but I can always put some more in later. They may be OK if the weather's OK, but it won't be a great loss if they fail.
Jim

Thanks Allan. I've never sown them this early so thought I'd have a go.
Beryl
KG Regular

I am sure you will all get a good germination with early seeds but the light levels are still very low this time of the year which can result in leggy seedlings and possibly damping off.
Far be it from me to put anyone off having a go though but a little patience now might pay dividends later with better crops. Most things will catch up anyway.
darren c
KG Regular

just transplanted my kelsae onions from a december 30th sowing .my alicante, sungold and gardeners delight tomatoes were transplanted a week ago from the same sowing date as my kelsaes although the sungolds were left in the propagator at home a little too long and are looking a bit leggy so have sowed a few more cos the missus will kill me me if they fail. sowed some sweet peas and lettuce yesterday ,both will go in the polytunnel when ready.all of these sowings are in a heated greenhouse using a parafin heater given to me by one of the old boys on my allotment site.

I have just sown my early peas in seed trays with compost and put them on top of a cupboard in the spare room where it is ave 10 degrees.
Three weeks later I will transplant outside in a part of my plot covered by a sheet of bubblewrap.
The bubblewrap will stay on till back end of March/early April
Hopefully the first Fortune/Kelvedon Wonder peas will be ready in early June if we have a decent spring.
Back in 2003 we stared picking Fortune peas in mid May with this same procedure.
The only snag with sowing so early is the low sunlight intensity tends to make the pea plants grow spindly if the room/propagator is too warm so keep an eye on them once they germinate.
Good Luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic