Asian Pear....will it ever fruit?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

always_mowing
KG Regular

Hi All.

I am thinking of purchasing an Asian Pear tree soon. I struggle for space in my garden and need something that is almost guaranteed to produce at least some amount of fruit. I already have normal pear for pollination.
Many thanks in advance if you can help.
Tom.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Tom

Brave choice; I have enough trouble getting my normal pears to fruit after 4 years. I see Chris Bowers are selling Nashi pears and they expect them to fruit. I'm not sure about pollination as European pears are Pyrus communis and Nashi pears are Pyrus pyrifolia. Perhaps for that reason Bowers list variety Skinsiki as self-fertile.

Best of luck

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
always_mowing
KG Regular

Hi Alan.

Thanks for reply.

Sorry to hear about your normal pears...hope you have better luck this year...i notice some bees around here already, have you spotted any there?

Following on from your post, i am going to check the variety of asian pears offered for sale, and also to check out the chris bowers website before making my mind up.

Tom.
alan refail
KG Regular

Glad to have been of help.
By the way I thought you were "always moving, and wondered why you were planting fruit trees.

Pob llwyddiant - Every success

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Mole
KG Regular

A friend of mine has 'Shinseiki' - he got a good crop last year - gave me a few - very nice. It is self fertile. It should do well in Sussex.

Mole
always_mowing
KG Regular

Hi All.

I'm back to let you know that since last time i posted in the forum...

i have gone and purchased a variety called 'shinseiki' and it looks great even if it never fruits...

the blossom is white with red anthers? (or is it stamens)...and also has very pale leaves...with a dark almost black stem with yellow dots.

i'd like to post a pic but dunno how.
happy gardening.
Tom.
submariner
KG Regular

It took about 6-7 years before I had any appreciative crop on my Comice, but it was well worth the wait. I have a cracking crop every year now, even though the experts say that it should be a (let's get this right) bienial, or at least a good cropper only every two years.
Love veg!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic