Fathen.

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

There is a Nepalese couple on our site and the wife surprised me by asking if she could pick the Fathen growing on my plot.By all means!!.It used as a vegetable in her own country(and elsewhere in the World) and is stir -fried or steamed or turned into soup and not dissimilar to cabbage or spinach.The tenderest top 10" is used.Don't know if I am ready for it yet but I might give it a go.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

That's a new one on me Snooky for edible " weeds" but as we become a more multicultural country I think we're learning more about other nation,s ' edible plants whixh we regard as "weeds". It appears that quite a lot of them can be used as stir fry vegetwbles and I'm sure Google can point us to many sources of information.

Frankly if the dreaded oxalis weed which has increasingly invaded our garden over recent years could be culled and stir fried with acceptable results I wouldn't curse it so much.

As a matter of interest, can anybody on here point us to a good source of information on "eating weeds as food?"

Might make an interesting future article for the magazine. These are a supply of free plants I'm sure we all have access to !!
Monika
KG Regular

What about looking for a website on 'foraging", Primrose? That should provide some information.

By the way, I have often made nettle soup with young nettles and that is really lovely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic