Sowing outdoor tomatoes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Has anybody started sowing their outdoor tomato seeds yet?
Every year I still seem to have sowed them too early and end up having to protect them.
When is the earliest date to be safe?
Sowing on a wide indoor widow sill so warmer than a greenhouse.
retropants
KG Regular

yes, I have them in 3" pots in the greenhouse for now (on a heated propogator with no lid). I am trying to collect enough 5L water bottles to use as cloches for when they do go out.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes those square bottles with the bases chopped off make really good protective cloches. I just slip one over each stake when its cold and on the warm days they can just be slid up the stake just far enough & down again to rest between the stake and the plant. However it's a bother storing the 30 I've accumulated over time. I've tied a string loop round each neck, and hang them from a bamboo cane clipped horizontally onto the wall of my potting shed area which at least keeps them out of the way..
sally wright
KG Regular

Around 8 weeks before you plan to put them out is my usual rule of thumb. I prick out into a 3 inch pot and then into a 5 inch pot (with cane if needed) before planting out. Planted deeply when they are put into the ground they won't flop around too much.
Regards Sally Wright.
lauraM
KG Regular

Thank you guys for all the tips, really useful for beginner like me ;)
“Everything I learned I learned from the
movies.”
― Audrey Hepburn
pamiętniki wampirów
Janet K. Sullivan
KG Regular

Yes, I have them.
robo
KG Regular

I only grow tumbling ones outdoors last year they did well but had more tomatoes on the floor than I collected I tried growing them upside down last year but not a great success, this year it’s all tumbling toms grown in hanging baskets one in each apart from the 20 inch diameter ones which have 2 in apart from one they have netting below to catch any escapes ,the tomatoes in my poly tunnel this year are all blight resistant as 2 out of the last 3 years they have succumbed to blight even cutting the blighted stems and leaves out and spraying with Jayes fluid helped I still lost a lot , but I’ve never had blight in the outdoor ones
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic