Dorset Coastal

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

melsieniko
KG Regular

Hi all

I've been growing veg for years, but all up north. I now find myself on a sheltered, south facing spot on the Dorset coast. Does anyone know when my last frost should be? And being mild is it possible to grow rhubarb (as I understand it needs quite a long cold period in the winter)?
Diane
KG Regular

I'm in South Dorset too and have two rhubarb clumps for years.. They grow really well in spite of being in a south facing garden. As for frost, usually from the first week in May is safe.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome melsienko!

I'm Dorset right near the coast as well. It would be highly unlikely for us to get a frost right on the coast now, but definitely further inland will, it is just the coastal rim that is protected & I also have protection from the island. The allotment is about a mile & a half away & it often has a frost when nothing at home as it just has farmland behind so I have to grow everything with protection there until mid/end April. I grow rhubarb very successfully, it is quite happy so long it is mulched over the winter to protect the crown, too much cold will kill it.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic