Cayenna peppers in winter?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

The other day we cut off a very productive Cayenna pepper plant to keep it indoors during the winter, as it's getting cold and all the peppers were already picked. Peppers are perennials, right? Time for resting, we thought. But all of a sudden it started producing a lot of flowers again!

Screenshot_20191102-093018_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191102-093018_Gallery.jpg (888.68 KiB) Viewed 6189 times
Westi
KG Regular

Don't quote me, but my only success with them has been putting them in a cold greenhouse with very little TLC in terms of warmth or watering! They were lucky to get a dribble of water & I had a cracked pane of glass so not warm. Early & huge crop! 'Treat it mean - keep it keen' type of message! Too happy inside maybe?
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Elmigo,
Pepper and chilli plants can be successfully overwintered by hard pruning them back so just a few tiny low down leaf shoots are left on the main stem. I have overwintered both these plants. Brought indoors onto a light window sill they will soon start sprouting again and eventually bear more flowers and eventually some fruit. Yours looks as if it has already started this process.

However to use them as true perennials rather than just overwintered plants so you get some early fruit next season it would be advisable to remove at least a third of the spent compost from the pot and top it up with fresh compost to give the plants a light liquid feed when it starts reflowering, otherwise the compost's nutrition will get exhausted.

I find the main problem with over-wintering these plants indoors is that often they seem to surcumb to whitefly which eventually weakens the plant so much it can kill it off. Maybe in a frost free but cooler greenhouse there is less risk of this. However these are essentially plants which thrive in warm temperatures so give it a try.
miwke
KG Regular

We did all of the above last year.

Built a 16x9 ft greenhouse but it does require heating. But can fit about 50-75 plants comfortably.

We brought some inside but managed to bring in some aphids which was a huge regret and ended up infesting our grow room. Never again will we do this.

Most of ours died in the ground and were replanted the next year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic