Transplanting winter pansies

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

They're still blooming wonderfully in some patio tubs but I need to remove them for summer plants and tumbling tomatoes.
If I transplant them carefully Into borders and water them well in will they go on flowering through the summer?
To be honest I,m never quite sure what the difference is between winter and summer flowering pansies. They look the same to me. Can anybody explain and suggest how long their flowering life really is.
retropants
KG Regular

Primrose, I was just wondering the same thing! I have 2 hanging baskets next to my front door, full of happy orange faces, I don't want to move them, but the begonias need to go in.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I usually get at least one winter followed by a summer from the same pansies, just keep dead heading and spread the seeds round the garden for free.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for your comments. I carefully removed some as an experiment yesterday , keeping the root balls as intact as possible, and replanted elsewhere, giving them a massive soak. This morning the flowers haven't wilted at all and are blooming up very cheerfully with no sign of wilting so I shall do the same with the remainder and hope to keep them going for a while. They're far far too colourful and healthy to toss on the compost heap at a time when most of the colourful spring bulbs have now finished flowering.

They really re good value for money arn't they, and a lot more resilient to adverse weather than some other winter flowers. I don,t have much experience of them self seeding in the past. How effectively does this happen?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic