Howling winds, ice, snow and torrential rain!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG Tony
KG Regular

Well, this month we've had ice and snow, howling winds, torrential rain and oh yes, a bit of sun! Some of us may have been huddling up in front of the fire and keeping warm and dry, though I suspect there are the more hardy amongst us who have been getting down to business.

So what have you been up to this month, or what are you planning?
Primrose
KG Regular

:o Mostly planning, a few pepper and chilli seeds sowing and watching daily for the slow but sure signs of better weather ahead with a few snowdrops peeping through, the cyclamen braving all the snow and frost directed and them and the first two crocus this morning opening their blooms.
Keeping an eagle eye for appearance of the first frogs so minipond can be protected fro Mar. heron.

But first I have to start making an effort to get up earlier now the lighter mornings are starting to creep up on us :o :(
Diane
KG Regular

I am mostly planning still...although I have poked around in the garden and tried to imagine what it will all look like in the summer. Took the net off the pond so the frogs could gain access. And then it rained! Now looking at the pics we took last summer and trying to remember what grew well and what struggled. Need more planning methinks this year.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Colin2016
KG Regular

Will start sowing seeds as per Charles Dowding's book/calender on valentine day then more over the weekend.

Forgot to add the automatic windows on the greenhouse were open.
Last edited by Colin2016 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
robo
KG Regular

I've been down the plot every day over winter I think I've missed one ,I go to check on the chickens but I've done a bit of planting this last week just to stop the boredom creeping in
Westi
KG Regular

Not doing much prep for the coming season but got a few sweet peas on the window sill & some chillies in the propagator & trying some pre-germination of parsnips. My achievement is bracing for the wind, snow & rain & going down a couple of times a week & rejoicing in the continuing harvest. I'd have to say it is my best winter yet - I've been successful with all the brassica's ,leeks etc & still taking cut & come oriental salad & mixed leaf & proper winter lettuce without any blemishes. Still cold & wet but going home so much more cheery than I usually do with a few chard & kale leaves.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

I've planted potatoes in the polytunnel and serviced the mower. Most of the veg beds are ready to go or waiting my March manure delivery.
Until I got rained off this afternoon I was repairing a cold frame.
'Dear Diary' says I should switch on the propagator and start sowing at the end of this week, a small problem is I still haven't bought any seed compost, hoping to go Thursday. I have looked at last year's electric consumption and am wondering about delaying both the propagator and the greenhouse heating by a week to try and save a bit, though it is rather milder than last year so tempted.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Done nothing outside up here, but I have potted on my Mammoth red onions grown from seed, will start my pot leek seed planting in the heated propagator later in the week.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

Geoff, I know you grow things much more intensively than I have ever done, but for years my average greenhouse heating start sate has been 10 March. Every year I am tempted to switch it on earlier than that, but tend to regret it because the heat might be there but not the light and the seedlings tend to grow leggy. Unless you have daylight lights, of course!?
We hired a mini skip today which will be filled with all the buddleia, rose hedge and dogwood cuttings. Some we will put through the shredder and composted down at home but, unfortunately, the bulk is far too much for the garden waste bin or for taking to the tip in the car.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic