Asparagus

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

My new crowns arrived today to fill the gaps in the main bed that lost some plants and to extend the bed a bit. My question is on planting these. I clearly remember all those years ago when we put the original crowns in digging a big trench and making mounds along the bottom to hang the crowns over. Last year I bought some new crowns and did the same, but only had one wee spindle up out of 12 & it consequently died as well.

I've been researching after that fairly expensive disaster & confused as expected. No-one seems to be saying the trench bit, just a mound in a hole, and recommended depth & width are quite small also. Some are saying fill to just cover then top up with more soil, at unspecified intervals which worries me as although dormant they would be susceptible to a frost I would think.

I dug the holes about 3 weeks ago & have put some well rotted manure in the bottom but they look too small. The instructions in the box with these says dig a trench about 8" deep & wide enough to take the roots spread out flat & create a mound about 3" deep & spread the crowns out then cover them with 2" of soil - won't that leave a 3" dip to catch water that will freeze or rot them? The variety is Ariane if that is helpful!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Never grown it, my dad tried and his wasn't overly successful , but looking at my book it says plant out in March/April.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

I can only tell you how I planted mine I followed the instructions that came with them ,dig a trench down the centre of the trench heap the soil up like you do with potatoes sit the asparagus on the centre spreading the roots down each side cover the lot in soil to a depth of four inches over the centre of the heap , I could only manage half the depth so last year I nailed a two inches deep batten on to the top of the raised bed then filled with soil, over five years I've lost six of the original twenty but some roots have grown quite substantial and I get a good crop each year
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Good drainage is why the mound is made, otherwise the plants drown quite easily, my dads soil was heavy clay a spade depth down.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Seberg
KG Regular

I planted it in April. It's fine so far.
Westi
KG Regular

It is finally up! Well, most of it, 4 still to show but I am so much happier, the little guys up are all marked, dog proved the bed for ball throwing as well! This bed has to be the replacement bed as the old stuff is - well getting older, but with the milder winter (who can forget the Beast), it is doing very well at 15yrs old & now I've got the neighbours & friends tempted I think I will be fine with 2 yellow & 2 green courgette that are going in soon!:)
Westi
robo
KG Regular

15 year old asparagus is quite young plenty spears left in them
Westi
KG Regular

Robo, What is the proper age it is spent? I go by 20yrs as that is out there, but it faced the beast & just sulked for a bit last year & cropping big time now. It comes from a harsh sea side environment so got to be tough - right? What the hell got 2 beds now! Takes space but so worth it!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I think 20 years is the minimum , not far from here it grows wild in the sandhills just off the beach admittedly not fields full but it is a wild place the weather comes straight off the Irish sea
Stephen
KG Regular

I was despondent about my asparagus bed which was showing nothing until a couple of weeks ago.
Now it looks like there are four or five crowns producing (but only those from about a dozen I put in at least seven years ago).

I'm wondering whether to start again from scratch; I was surprised by their delivery so not properly prepared last time. This time I would be better prepared.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey Stephen you are patient!

I bought new crowns last year & no show all year from mine & when I dug one to inspect, it looked exactly as it did when I meticulously put it over the little mound in the bottom of the trench. This lot have had the same treatment but not quite the trench but just individual holes with the mound - wider hole width though. I would expect if yours are just up that will be another 2 yrs before you can take advantage of the crop. I would leave those that have shown & get replacements for the no shows! It must be out of season now for crowns so if the others pop up while waiting would be great & you could save a bit. BTW you only get 10 now not 12 like I did from my first buy!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Westi
Initially more crowns gave some shoots, but, yes, I have.
When I had less time (or less control of my time), it never reached the urgent or important parts of my lists! I now have more time, so will sort things out. It is really a question if I put in new asparagus or grow something else.
Westi
KG Regular

Nah Stephen, grow your own - unless you don't like asparagus!

Just check the prices in the supermarket & count the savings, over 20yrs+, then taste the fresh real thing fresh out of the ground - those 2 options will convince you immediately! I have some purple tip ones that are quite skinny in a corner where the original bed was to be & I just munch them raw. I wouldn't recommend them for an established bed stick to the tried & tested green varieties.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

I do like a bit of 'grass, as does the undergardener.

So, it is re-plant time! (Well, when the time is right).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic