Thinning out pond in Autumn

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've started taking the excess plants out of my pond and leaving them on the edge for wildlife to be able to get back in the water.
The Japanese irises have grown out several feet and I'm having difficulty reaching them to cut them back. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have any waders or a boat and the pond is 4 ft deep in some places. I might have a try with the long handled pruners as the roots are very tough.
Diane
KG Regular

How about a long handled rake? We have the same problem this year - the irises have all but taken over and we've dragged them out and divided them- had to use tree loppers on some of the roots. Other thought - how expert are you with a lassoo? :lol:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Geoff
KG Regular

A grappling hook.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've tried a grappling hook thing but it is such a big mass of roots that it won't split without chopping. I've hooked lots of other stuff, branched burr reed, water horsetail, and various pond weeds quite easily with it but the irises won't budge.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Plumpudding, i'm afraid there isn't an easy way when they get that big and knotted, just a matter of trying to cut managable portions off. If you have a decent sized piece of plywood, you can lay this down on them, to give you something to work off.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes, OH , that's what I was hoping to avoid. I've got some big pieces of marine ply I could use to lie on for a bit of extra reach. Wait for the splash!!!! I ought to have put my swimsuit on and done it this week in the sunshine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic