June - is it too late to sow parsnip seeds?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Daveswife
KG Regular

Is it too late to sow parsnip seeds now? I just found the unopened packet of seeds which I should have planted earlier but they were overlooked.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well I would give it a go. I find them very slow to germinate but it,s warmer now so you might get a quicker germination and still get a reasonable crop of small roots. Depends of course how old the packet of seed is. They do say use fresh seed every year but I,ve sown seed which is two years old with moderate success.
I believe in trying to break all the rules. Sometimes it,s surprising how often you can get away with things and anyway most of the instructions on packets are only guidelines. I,ve just sown some antirhynims today, well after the recommended sowing time recommended on the packet but I might be lucky !
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The Parsnips won't be huge but, still of a useable size when harvested....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Daveswife
KG Regular

Thanks very much. The seeds are this year's so I'll sow some today. In fact, I'll do it right now.
Angie
paulw60
KG Regular

good luck, have tried three new packets without success this year, don't know what has gone wrong. Am now going against all instruction and sowing trays then transplant. fingers crossed.
thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bring more work!!
Primrose
KG Regular

I doubt whether much sown in this extreme heat will have survived unless the soil has been kept constantly moist.
Daveswife
KG Regular

Despite my enthusiasm and "I'll go and do it now" comment, I never did set those parsnip seeds. And a good job I didn't because as Primrose says, this extreme heat and drought will have put paid to any little seedlings! Here in Nottingham we have not had rain since May 30th. The heat has been relentless but the evenings are cooler and night temperature means we can get some sleep. But oh, the garden needs rain.
Angie
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I sowed my parsnips and leeks very late due to weather and idleness and have just come in from hoeing them up. Poor germination and weak growth, they had to go. This will be the first time in nearly 50 years that I haven't grown leeks unless I reluctantly see if I can buy some young plants.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic