Blind strawberries

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

I'm growing strawberries in large, self-watering troughs this year. I have several varieties and have noticed that both with Malling Centenary and Vibrant a few of the flower stems had flowers that were blind, i.e. they had a flower but no centre (or at least a very under-developed one) from which the strawberry would grow. A few of the just-opening buds also went brown and dropped off.

The majority of the plants are fine and fruit is developing normally so I shan't be too deprived, but I wondered if anyone knew what the cause of this is.
Monika
KG Regular

Sounds like non-pollination to me. Have you tried playing at being a bee, viv? Going from flower to flower with a soft artists brush? That's what I used to do when we grew strawberries in the greenhouse. If, as you say, they really have "no centre", perhaps it's a growth problem like not enough water?
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Monika, I had my full fuzzy striped suit on and gave all the flowers a little tickle, but the blind ones are outdoors which is why I was so puzzled. I have kep them watered, too, and they are in self watering pots with a reservoir so it is quite the conundrum.
Geoff
KG Regular

I bought Malling Centenary Strawberries and they were a complete disaster. I think they are very susceptible to viruses. I had an email discussion with one of the breeders who more or less accepted they could fail where older varieties like the Symphony I grow thrive. The plants eventually almost died as though they were short of water so I scrapped them. This was 2015.

IMG_3414_R.jpg
IMG_3414_R.jpg (267.24 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
vivienz
KG Regular

Crumbs, that's a sad little plant, isn't it, Geoff? I only have a few of the MC plants - they were free from Marshalls after they completely cocked up my order of strawberry plants last year. The variety 'vibrant' seems to be doing well, with the fruit held on exceptionally long flower stalks although these are collapsing now as the green fruits start to swell. Likewise, both my ciflorette and mara des bois are coming along nicely.

I think there may be a bit of vine weevil getting into the pots, however, as one plant on the end of a trough looks droopy so I shall get some nematode treatment today.
dfgdtg
KG Regular

I'm developing strawberries in huge, self-water tanks this year. I have a few assortments and have seen that both with Malling Century and Dynamic a couple of the blossom stems had blossoms that were visually impaired, for example they had a blossom however no middle (or possibly an exceptionally immature one) from which the strawberry would develop. A couple of the equitable opening buds likewise went brown and dropped off.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

It's late in the season now, even my perpetuals are now struggling to produce much and that's under glass.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
OdliDPrincess
KG Regular

Geoff wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 pm I bought Malling Centenary Strawberries and they were a complete disaster. I think they are very susceptible to viruses. I had an email discussion with one of the breeders who more or less accepted they could fail where older varieties like the Symphony I grow thrive. The plants eventually almost died as though they were short of water so I scrapped them. This was 2015.

IMG_3414_R.jpg
Looks really nice. I guess I know what I'm going to grow next summer
snapdragon
KG Regular

I'm sure these are not pollinated plants.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic