Blight - starting early this year !

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Could hardly believe my email this morning when I found I had received my first Hutton blight warning for our area, although I shouldn't be surprised perhaps, given the very humid weather we had following recent thunderstorms.

My question is. I've only very recently planted my young tomato plants out into their outside borders. Should I be thinking of spraying them already or is it not recommended this early? . I can't remember ever spraying them this early in the season. I think early July has been the previous time when I've started getting warnings. Any thoughts?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

no such warning received here yet Primrose.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
hilary
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
Just had a warning for North Suffolk! I am hoping though it is a bit too early and last year had warnings but not a trace. Fortunately no allotments near here and potatotoes grown some distance away and as commercial will be sprayed lots of times!
Keeping fingers crossed.....
Hilary
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Just received Hutton report for today

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

Woo I'm ahead on something!

Today's was my third this year.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

does anybody think I should be spraying yet ?
Geoff
KG Regular

These warnings are nothing to do with blight infections only correct climatic conditions for blight to thrive. I believe it is way too early for blight to be a problem and I find it a bit odd that Blightatch publish the data this early. There used to be a way of displaying (I think it was a link from Blightwatch) maps of actual infections but it has disappeared. I have contacted Blightwatch and they suggested AHDB, I'm waiting for a response from them.

A Hutton Criteria occurs when two consecutive days with a minimum temperature of 10°C, and at least six hours of relative humidity (90%). Arising from research funded by AHDB Potatoes and undertaken by the James Hutton Institute, the Hutton Criteria is a significant advancement on the 60-year old Smith period that used wider ranges of temperature and longer periods of humidity. The new criteria has been built in and will improve the reliability and reach of blight risk reporting in time for the 2017 blight pressure season. The new systems will now work with the new criteria in order to help to support decisions, refine action plans and re-empower growers against blight.
Westi
KG Regular

I've not had a warning - best check the junk e-mail box as my friend a mile or so away has had one. I won't be spraying just yet but will be a bit more vigilant. I usually find it attacks after a hot dry spell followed by rain, but we've had back to back rain, even if hot & humid.
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

I've just had a warning, Westi.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Diane.

Nothing in the junk box so maybe I got lost in the new data thing? I best go on there & re-register, it does help to know & give a bit of a spray if it strikes early.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Got this blackening on top of some spuds could this be blight.
Attachments
Spud Leaves.jpg
Spud Leaves.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 7932 times
Geoff
KG Regular

No - looks like the way that variety happens to grow. Blight is light brown splodges.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's just pigment Colin. They look very healthy. When they get blight they look diseased and rather sick.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic